Retain paramilitary forces in Darjeeling after polls: YechuryApril 25th, 2009 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 25 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury Saturday asked the Election Commission to ensure the presence of central paramilitary forces in the Darjeeling hills after polling day to ensure the safety of voters in the area.
Yechury, who is just back from Darjeeling after addressing election rallies, said in his complaint: “The separatist Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) is in public threatening the people not to vote for the CPI-M candidate. They have threatened the voters of dire consequences if they violate their diktat.”
“The Election Commission concurred with the opinion of the CPI-M that in Darjeeling, the opponents backed by GJM are violating the model code of conduct,” Yechury told reporters here after submitting the memorandum to Election Commissioners S.Y. Qureshi and V.S. Sampath.
Darjeeling votes April 30 in the third phase of the five phase general elections.
Yechury also criticised Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for its double standards on the issue of a separate Gorkhaland state.
“While the state unit of BJP is opposed unequivocally to the formation of Gorkhaland state, their central leader Jaswant Singh is contesting from Darjeeling, assuring GJM that they will support the demand for the formation of Gorkhaland state after the elections,” the CPI-M leader pointed out.
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- Ghising, Tamang's wife giving tough fight to GJM - Apr 15, 2011
- Gorkhaland will not solve problems: Yechury - Apr 22, 2009
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Poll process begins in Bengal's six districts Thursday - Mar 23, 2011
- Madan Tamang's widow to contest from Darjeeling - Mar 30, 2011
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy - Feb 11, 2012
- Campaign ends for first phase of polling in West Bengal - Apr 16, 2011
- GJM's support to Trinamool won't affect ties: BJP - Apr 08, 2011
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- CPI-M attacks GJM over Darjeeling agreement - Jun 07, 2011
- Buddhadeb accuses Trinamool of colluding with GJM - Feb 13, 2011
- Darjeeling gearing up for assembly polls - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: bjp, central leader, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, darjeeling hills, diktat, election commission, election commissioners, election rallies, general elections, gjm, gorkha, memorandum, model code, paramilitary forces, politburo member, polling day, qureshi, s sampath