Reservations over many provisions of Lokpal bill: Sushma SwarajJuly 3rd, 2011 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Sunday said that it has reservations over the many provisions of the anti-corruption Lokpal bill drafted by the government, and asked for a “better and stronger bill” to be introduced in parliament.
“We have differences over the procedure for selecting the Lokpal, its area of jurisdiction and the qualifications of persons for the post,” Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj told reporters after an all-party meeting called by the prime minister on the legislation.
“We have not discussed the provisions, but we did tell the government that this bill shouldn’t be brought to the parliament. We have objections on many provisions in the present bill, so a better and stronger bill should be brought by the government in parliament,” she added.
She said the bill should be introduced in the monsoon session (beginning Aug 1) and sent to the standing committee “so that political parties, state governments and organisations can give their reactions and suggestions”.
“It can be passed after incorporating suggestions of the standing committee,” she said.
She said that BJP will articulate its differences with the government on the bill in parliament.
- Consensus eludes all-party meet on Lokpal bill (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- All party meet on Lokpal bill ends amid differences (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Team Anna firm on bringing PM, CBI under Lokpal (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Lokpal Bill introduced in parliament, opposition protests (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- All-party meet on Lokpal without precedent: Advani - Jul 04, 2011
- Lokpal bill: Government accuses BJP of double standards - Aug 04, 2011
- Lokpal bill in parliament -- amid protests (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Want Lokpal in this session, Sushma tweets - Dec 15, 2011
- Lokpal bill finally in parliament, tough ride ahead (Roundup) - Dec 22, 2011
- Congress appeals for flexibility on Lokpal bill - Aug 23, 2011
- Team Anna lobbies with Jaitley, Sushma for Lokpal bill (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- BSP backs Anna, Lokpal heat is on government (Roundup) - Dec 13, 2011
- Government, Team Anna hold talks, PM promises 'best possible' Lokpal bill (Intro Roundup) - Aug 23, 2011
- BJP to propose amendments in Lokpal bill - Dec 13, 2011
- Lokpal bill comes to parliament, BJP, Team Anna protest (Round-up) - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, corruption, jurisdiction, leader of opposition, legislation, Lok Sabha, monsoon session, New Delhi, objections, organisations, parliament, political parties, prime minister, provisions, standing committee, state governments, sushma swaraj