Resentment in JMM over Rajya Sabha candidateApril 18th, 2012 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 18 (IANS) Senior Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) leader and former deputy chief minister Sudhir Mahto Wednesday staged a sit-in demonstration in the steel city of Jamshedpur to protest against the fielding of Supreme Court lawyer Sanjeev Kumar for the Rajya Sabha poll scheduled on May 3.
“An outsider has been given the party ticket. Any local leader could have been given the ticket,” Mahto told reporters here Wednesday.
He claimed that majority of the leaders are unhappy with the party decision.
Sudhir Mahto, who was deputy chief minister between 2006 and 2008 when Madhu Koda was chief minister, had offered his own candidature in the poll.
The JMM on Tuesday announced Sanjeev Kumar as candidate for the Rajya Sabha poll. He was a candidate in the March 30 Rajya Sabha poll which was countermanded by the election commission.
The Election Commission of India had recommended to President Pratibha Patil to cancel the notification for the two Rajya Sabha seats after Rs.2.15 crore in cash was seized on the outskirts of Ranchi on polling day March 30. The money was seized from an Innova car coming to Ranchi from Jamshedpur. It was suspected to be payoffs for getting a favourable vote from some legislators.
- JMM fields Saneev Kumar for Rajya Sabha - Apr 17, 2012
- Rajya Sabha poll: JMM irked over BJP decision to field Ahluwalia - Apr 19, 2012
- With RS horse trading reports, Jharkhand in news for wrong reasons - Mar 31, 2012
- Ahuwalia files nomination for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 21, 2012
- Banks, legislators' accounts under scanner in Jharkhand RS polls - Apr 09, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: High court dismisses petition - Apr 05, 2012
- Jailed legislators helped Congress: BJP - May 03, 2012
- Counting for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll stopped as Rs.2.15 crore seized (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Cong, JMM and BJP in fray for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 23, 2012
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- JMM, Congress face dissention over by-poll - Jun 14, 2011
- 'Congress MP offered me Rs.25 lakh bribe' - Apr 23, 2012
- 'Jharkhand order on RS polls a victory on corruption' - Apr 05, 2012
- Poll panel stops Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll, urges cancellation (Intro Roundup) - Mar 31, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll on May 3 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: candidature, crore, deputy chief minister, election commission of india, jamshedpur, jharkhand, jmm leader, koda, outsider, outskirts, party ticket, payoffs, polling day, president pratibha patil, rajya sabha, resentment, rs 2, sanjeev kumar, steel city, supreme court lawyer