Republican Party governors’ association chair Mark Sanford admits affair and resignsJune 25th, 2009 - 2:48 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Missing South Carolina governor Mark Sanford has resigned from the Republican governors’ association, after admitting having had an affair with an unnamed very dear friend for the past eight years.
Sanford, who various reports had him taking time out to write, or walking the Appalachian Trail which runs from Maine to Georgia said nothing about resigning as governor.
At a hastily arranged press conference after he was detected flying in from Argentina, Sandford, who up until last week has been considered a contender as a Republican presidential contender, said “The bottom line is this: I have been unfaithful to my wife.
“I have spent the last five days of my life crying in Argentina”, he added.
The governor, who until last week had been considered a contender as a Republican presidential contender to take on Barack Obama at the next election,
The former governor gave a long list of apologies to his wife, his children, his staff, the people of South Carolina and to the US.
Questions about Sanford’s absence first began at the weekend. His wife at the time said she thought he needed space from the children to write, while his staff said on Monday he was hiking the Appalachian trail.
Sandford said he had developed a relationship with a very dear friend eight years ago and over the last year it had developed into “something much more”.
He said his wife and family have known about it for the past five months.
- Rising GOP star Sanford admits being unfaithful to wife - Jun 25, 2009
- US governor admits affair after mystery trip - Jun 25, 2009
- Mark Sanford has agreed to pay $74,000 in fines - Mar 19, 2010
- SC Governor Mark Sanford Disappears... Again - Jun 23, 2010
- Mark Sanford Joins Up With Mistress - May 15, 2010
- Mark Sanford Gives His Consent To Pay $74,000 To Resolve Ethics Complaint - Mar 19, 2010
- South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford Admits Affair - Jun 25, 2009
- Mark Sanford:The Case Of The Missing Governor And Hiking. - Jun 23, 2009
- Mark Sanford Rediscovers Love In His Mistress, Calls Her To Be His "Soulmate" - May 15, 2010
- Nikki Haley wins Republican nomination for governor of South Carolina - Nov 03, 2010
- Mark Sanford's son said his extra-marital affair was "worse than Spitzer!" - Feb 01, 2010
- South Carolina Governor Sanford admits to rekindling ties with Argentine girlfriend - May 13, 2010
- Governor Sanford of South Carolina to disburse $ 74,000 in fines related to ethical infringements - Mar 19, 2010
- Gingrich wins key Republican primary in South Carolina - Jan 22, 2012
- Jenny Sanford is now dating Georgia businessman Clay Boardman - Apr 16, 2010
Tags: apologies, appalachian trail, argentina, barack obama, bottom line, days of my life, dear friend, five months, governor mark sanford, hiking the appalachian trail, maine, mark sanford, presidential contender, republican governors association, republican party, sandford, south carolina governor, south carolina governor mark sanford, taking time, walking the appalachian trail