Republic Day celebrated in KuwaitJanuary 26th, 2011 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kuwait, Jan 26 (IANS) Over 5,000 Indian nationals gathered here Wednesday to celebrate the country’s 62nd Republic Day, organised by the Indian embassy.Ajai Malhotra, India’s ambassador to Kuwait, unfurled the national flag, which was followed by the singing of the national anthem.
Malhotra read out to the gathering the address to the nation by President Pratibha Patil, according to an embassy statement.
Children from three Indian schools in Kuwait sang patriotic songs and an all-girls band from the Indian Community School performed to the delight of those attending the programme.
An reception with Indian snacks and refreshments followed the programme.
Over 5,000 Indian nationals from all walks of life, including domestic workers, members of Indian associations and other professionals and businessmen and their families joined in the celebrations.
“India-Kuwait relations are exemplary, characterised by warmth, mutual respect and understanding. They have a solid foundation in the long-standing and deep-rooted friendship between our peoples and civilizations,” Malhotra said.
“Our special relationship extends beyond historical and cultural linkages to encompass political, trade and economic interests. Exchanges have also taken place in numerous diverse fields ranging from culture to hydrocarbons, manpower development to tourism, journalism to defence,” he said.
Malhotra said Indians form the largest expatriate community in Kuwait and have a reputation for being industrious, talented, disciplined and law abiding.
There are over 640,000 Indians in Kuwait.
He also congratulated the people of Kuwait on the 50th anniversary of that country’s independence from Britain June 19, 1961.
Several major newspapers in Kuwait also issued special supplements to mark India’s Republic Day.
- India's I-Day celebrated in Kuwait (With Image) - Aug 15, 2012
- Independence Day celebrated in Kuwait (With Images) - Aug 15, 2011
- Kuwait's Indian embassy sets model to help workers in distress - Feb 27, 2011
- Indian community in US celebrates R-day - Jan 27, 2012
- India to draw up action plan to boost trade with Kuwait - Mar 06, 2011
- Cricket tourney in Israel to mark India R'Day - Jan 27, 2011
- Karnataka celebrates Independence Day (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Half of Kuwait cabinet turns up to receive vice president Ansari - Apr 06, 2009
- Indian culture fest in Kuwait on the way - Apr 07, 2009
- Bhardwaj hits out against corruption on R'Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Krishna heads to Kuwait Friday - Feb 24, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh celebrates R-Day with patriotic zeal - Jan 26, 2011
- Bengal governor unfurls tricolour at colourful parade - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: 50th anniversary, ajai, expatriate community, girls band, indian associations, indian embassy, indian nationals, indian schools in kuwait, indian snacks, indians in kuwait, malhotra, manpower development, national anthem, newspapers in kuwait, patriotic songs, president pratibha patil, republic day, schools in kuwait, special relationship, walks of life