Report on Jaswant Singh’s money distribution sent to poll panelApril 1st, 2009 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, April 1 (IANS) The administration of Rajasthan’s Barmer district has sent a preliminary report to the Election Commission on the distribution of money by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Jaswant Singh, officials said Wednesday.
“We have sent a preliminary factual report to the Election Commission and will act as per the instructions of the commission,” Ravi Jain, district collector of Barmer, told IANS.
Jaswant Singh was Tuesday caught on camera distributing money during an election meeting in Gajaria village of Barmer, about 550 km from here.
The BJP leader’s son Manvendra Singh is fighting the Lok Sabha election from Barmer parliamentary constituency.
“The tehsildar (collector) of the area had filed a report of this incident,” said Jain.
Official sources said the administration has charged the BJP leader with three offences - money distribution, distribution of food packets and promise to install hand pumps - in its report to the Election Commission.
In the video clip telecast by news channels, Jaswant Singh and BJP national vice-president Kailash Meghwal were shown giving money to a woman at the Gajaria poll rally.
However, Jaswant Singh has denied allegations of violation of the model code of conduct.
“It is our tradition to help the poor and it cannot be termed as violation of the model code of conduct,” he said.
- EC issues notice to Jaswant Singh for violating Model Code - Apr 04, 2009
- Now BJP's Jaswant Singh caught on camera distributing cash - Mar 31, 2009
- Poll panel to verify Jaswant's cash-for-votes CD (Lead) - Apr 01, 2009
- Congress seeks probe into Jaswant's cash-for-votes case - Apr 01, 2009
- Congress candidate to be booked for giving away cricket kits - Jan 23, 2012
- Didn't violate poll code, Jayant tells EC - Feb 21, 2012
- Poll panel notice to Jaswant Singh for doling cash - Apr 05, 2009
- Gorkha League not to support Jaswant Singh in Darjeeling - Apr 10, 2009
- Congress leader re-ignites quota controversy, opposition furious (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2012
- Chidambaram to reply to Election Commission notice today - Apr 06, 2009
- Will oppose any move to weaken poll panel: BJP - Feb 21, 2012
- Chidambaram, Jaswant to reply to Election Commission notice today - Apr 07, 2009
- FIR against Jharkhand speaker for poll violations - May 25, 2012
- BJP candidate in Kerala charged for violating election code of conduct - Mar 07, 2011
- BJP complains to poll panel against Verma's quota remarks (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: allegations, april 1, barmer, code of conduct, election commission, factual report, food packets, giving money, hand pumps, janata party, jaswant singh, kailash, lok sabha election, model code, money distribution, national vice president, news channels, parliamentary constituency, preliminary report, rajasthan