Relief for Chidambaram as court dismisses Swamy’s plea (Second Lead)February 4th, 2012 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) A special CBI court Saturday dismissed Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy’s plea to make P. Chidambaram a co-accused in the 2G spectrum allocation case, spelling huge relief for the home minister.
“The prayer of Subramanian Swamy seeking the summoning of P. Chidambaram is dismissed,” Special CBI Judge O.P. Saini said delivering a keenly awaited verdict for which media persons thronged the Patiala House court complex. He posted the matter for further hearing March 17.
Reacting to the judgment, Swamy said he would move the high court against the order.
“I am surprised…but not disappointed because this is part of the game,” Swamy told reporters here minutes after the special CBI judge dismissed his plea to make Chidambaram an accused in the 2G spectrum allocation case.
“I will appeal in the high court and if need be I will go to the Supreme Court,” said Swamy.
Judge Saini reserved his order for Saturday after the last hearing Jan 21 when Swamy concluded his final arguments.
The Supreme Court, while cancelling the 122 licenses allotted during the term of then telecom minister A. Raja, Thursday left it to the trial court to decide on Swamy’s plea to probe Chidambaram’s role in the 2G case.
Swamy, while deposing in the case, had contended that Raja committed irregularities in connivance with Chidambaram in alloting the licenses.
He said the decision on pegging spectrum prices based on 2001 rates was jointly taken by Raja and Chidambaram, who was then the finance minister.
Indo-Asian News Service
- Swamy plea against Chidambaram dismissed (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Will appeal against judgement: Swamy - Feb 04, 2012
- Chidambaram's alleged complicity in 2G scam to be decided Saturday - Feb 03, 2012
- Never-say-die Swamy 'will appeal' against judgement (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- 2G: Court defers hearing on Swamy's plea - Mar 17, 2012
- Apex court reserves order on Chidambaram in 2G case - Apr 24, 2012
- Will file complaint on Aircel-Marxis deal, Swamy tells court - May 26, 2012
- Swamy's plea dismissed, relief for Chidambaram (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Good judgment, it's a relief: Pranab - Feb 04, 2012
- Swamy's plea to make Chidambaram accused in 2G deferred - Nov 08, 2011
- 2G: Make Chidmabaram co-accused, Swamy tells court - Sep 15, 2011
- No proof to try Chidambaram in 2G case: Court - Feb 04, 2012
- Clean chit to Chidambaram in 2G scam (Roundup) - Feb 04, 2012
- 2G scam: Swamy allowed to argue his case personally - Aug 26, 2011
- Of an anxiously awaited verdict and a surprised Swamy - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: akk, asian news, cbi court, connivance, finance minister, home minister, irregularities, jan 21, march 17, media persons, p chidambaram, party chief, patiala house court, plea, raja, saini, service gt, spectrum allocation, swamy, trial court