Rekha right behind, so Jaya to swap seat? (Second Lead)May 2nd, 2012 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) Actress-MP Jaya Bachchan has sought to change her seating arrangement in the Rajya Sabha after her one-time co-star Rekha was allotted a seat right behind her, an official source said Wednesday.
Bachchan, a Samajwadi Party MP, occupies seat number 91 and the seat allotted to Rekha is 99 - right behind her. Rekha has been newly nominated to the upper house.
Bachchan requested for a seat change apparently to avoid proximity to the actress, the source said.
However, since the procedure to change one’s seat takes long, Bachchan may swap her seat with another member from her party, said the source.
Officially, however, Bachchan said she wanted to change her seat because of the demise of party colleague Brij Bhushan Tiwari, as he was sitting next to her.
Tiwari died last week shortly after being re-elected to the upper house.
Meanwhile, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar has been allotted seat number 103.
Both Rekha and Tendulkar along with industrialist and social worker Anu Aga have been nominated to the upper house by the president.
Earlier, Tendulkar’s nomination to the upper house came under much discussion after some political parties questioned if it was an attention diverting tactic.
- Rekha right behind, so Jaya to swap seat? (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Jaya Bachchan to swap seat in Rajya Sabha to avoid Rekha? - May 02, 2012
- Reports on Jaya Bachchan plaint wrong: Rajya Sabha secretariat - May 16, 2012
- Rekha takes oath in Rajya Sabha - May 15, 2012
- President approves Tendulkar, Rekha's nomination to Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Rekha's Rajya Sabha nomination no ordinary achievement: Mahesh Bhatt - Apr 27, 2012
- President approves nomination of Sachin, Rekha to Rajya Sabha - Apr 26, 2012
- Court clears Tendulkar's oath-taking in Rajya Sabha - May 16, 2012
- SC dismiss petition against Tendulkar's Rajya Sabha nomination - May 14, 2012
- Mulayam renominates Jaya Bachchan to Rajya Sabha (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- Plea against Tendulkar's Rajya Sabha nomination dismissed (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Sachin says honoured by RS seat, but no politics - May 01, 2012
- Tendulkar says no to politics after RS nomination (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Mulayam renominates Jaya Bachchan to Rajya Sabha - May 26, 2010
Tags: actress, aga, co star, colleague, demise, industrialist, jaya bachchan, mp, New Delhi, nomination, political parties, proximity, rajya sabha, Samajwadi Party, seat number, seating arrangement, social worker, tactic, tendulkar, upper house