Rebels make Goa parties wobble ahead of polls (Goa Newsletter)February 17th, 2012 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 17 (IANS) As the March 3 assembly polls inch closer, rebellion has surfaced in Goa’s political ranks, with those who have been denied party tickets threatening to raise the banner of revolt.
Congress, the party which stands to lose most by the rebellion factor, is battling rebels in more than 10 out of the 33 constituencies it is contesting. Goa assembly has 40 seats.
Vijay Sardesai, who was one of the contenders for a Congress ticket from the Fatorda constituency, has filed his candidature as an independent and said his criticism of the ‘family first’ policy of the Congress when it came to ticket distribution killed his chances as a contender.
“They have targeted me for speaking against tickets being given to the family members of sitting legislators,” Sardesai said.
Other Congress rebels who are likely to contest as independents or on the tickets of regional parties include Francis Fernandes (Siolim), Naresh Sawal (Bicholim), Armindo Braganza (Mapusa), Rudolf Fernandes (St Cruz), Venkatesh Dessai (Valpoi), Govind Gawde (Priol), Ramakant Borkar (Cortalim) and Savio Countinho (Margao).
Congress MP in the Rajya Sabha Shantaram Naik has said the party was going out of its way to placate rebels and coax them into withdrawing their candidature in support of the Congress.
“We are reaching out to all of them asking them to put their differences behind and fight communal forces unitedly. Elections are not everything,” Naik said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has also not been spared the rebellion malaise either.
The party’s senior scheduled tribe leader Prakash Shankar Velip has filed his papers as an independent candidate from the Quepem seat after BJP’s alliance partner, the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP) wrested the Quepem constituency in the seat sharing arrangement and fielded Chief Minister Digambar Kamat’s personal secretary Prakash Arjun Velip there.
“I was forced to take the decision to contest as an independent because people want me to. I have put in years of hard work in this constituency,” Prakash Shankar Velip said.
Congress’ alliance partner, the Nationalist Congress Party’s (NCP) bosses, who have been accused of selling tickets by its rebel, could also be having sleepless nights, with rebel candidates threatening to eat into the party vote bank.
Venkatesh Prabhu Moni resigned as vice president of the NCP here after the ticket to the Porvorim seat was allotted to the NCP state mahila unit president Fermina Khaunte.
“NCP observer for Goa, Bharati Chavan, demanded Rs.15 lakh and a house in return for a party ticket, which I refused,” Moni told a press conference after he was denied a ticket.
Chavan has denied the allegations calling Moni to conclusively prove his statement.
(Mayabhushan Nagvenkar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Families corner one-third of Congress tickets in Goa (Goa Newsletter) - Feb 10, 2012
- Congress Waterloo in Goa due to family raj: Congress - Mar 06, 2012
- Amarinder's brother leads list of Punjab Congress rebels - Jan 07, 2012
- Congress tries to make Goa polls a family matter (Goa Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- BJP-MGP alliance win in Goa; to stake claim Wednesday (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- All four members of Alemao family lose - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP-MGP alliance routs Congress-NCP in Goa (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Rebels, relatives in fray for BMC elections - Jan 31, 2012
- PM, Sonia fail to garner votes for Goa Congress - Mar 07, 2012
- BJP announces poll alliance with MGP in Goa - Feb 05, 2012
- Congress, NCP working towards pre-poll alliance in Goa - Nov 09, 2011
- Denied ticket, Goa Congress legislator slams Sonia - Feb 11, 2012
- Two new faces, 2 defectors in Congress list for Goa - Feb 04, 2012
- Two Goa ex-chief ministers, six ministers defeated - Mar 06, 2012
- Family raj over and out in Goa? Think again - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, braganza, communal forces, congress rebels, goa assembly, goa newsletter, goa parties, independent candidate, maharashtrawadi gomantak party, mapusa, margao, personal secretary, rajya sabha, ramakant, regional parties, sawal, shantaram, ticket distribution, venkatesh