Ready for special parliament session to debate JPC: PranabDecember 22nd, 2010 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 22 (IANS) Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Wednesday said he was ready to call a special session of parliament to debate the need for a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum scam.”If they (the opposition) assure that there will be a debate, I am ready to call a special session of parliament before the budget session. So that let this issue be debated in the presence of the Indian public opinion… that whether there is a need of a JPC in the context of all the steps which have been taken not from right now but from 2009,” Mukherjee, who is Leader of the Lok Sabha, said at an award function here organised by CNN-IBN.
“Let there be a debate, parliament is meant for that,” he said.
Proceedings in both houses of parliament were disrupted throughout most of its winter session over the opposition’s demand for a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum allocation.
Mukherjee had held repeated parleys with the opposition to resolve the logjam in parliament, but failed.
In a scathing attack on the Congress at the Bharatiya Janata Party’s rally at Ramlila grounds here Wednesday, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley asked Prime Minister Mamohan Singh to give up his job if he was not ready to face a JPC probe into the raging spectrum scandal.
Jaitley argued that only a JPC would be able to find out why second generation spectrum was allotted at below market prices in 2008 by the now disgraced DMK leader and former communications minister A. Raja.
- Ready for special parliament session to debate JPC: Pranab (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Don't want debate, we want JPC, says BJP - Dec 23, 2010
- Mukherjee to convene all-party meet on Feb. 8 to break Parliament deadlock - Feb 06, 2011
- Mukherjee to convene all-party meet to break Parliament deadlock - Feb 08, 2011
- Opposition sticks to JPC, Pranab wants apology for parliament washout (Roundup) - Dec 23, 2010
- Talks inconclusive, but government may agree on JPC (Intro Roundup) - Feb 08, 2011
- Govt. may agree to JPC probe in 2G scam, says Bansal - Feb 17, 2011
- Top Congress leaders discuss budget session amid JPC indications - Feb 14, 2011
- Let parliament function, Mukherjee appeals, but rules out JPC - Dec 04, 2010
- Parliament deadlock: Govt. must announce JPC on Feb. 22, says Swaraj - Feb 16, 2011
- Parliament deadlock: Congress holds deliberations on 'Budget Session' - Feb 14, 2011
- No end in sight to parliament deadlock on 2G spectrum probe (News Analysis) - Nov 25, 2010
- Parliament deadlock: All-party meet called by Mukherjee remains inconclusive - Feb 08, 2011
- BJP remains unbending on JPC demand - Nov 28, 2010
- Meeting inconclusive, but government may agree on JPC (Roundup) - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,