Read more, desist from using harsh words: PM’s retort to JaitleyFebruary 24th, 2011 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 24 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday hit out at Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley for criticising him, saying the Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha should read more on the success story of India rather than use harsh words against him.In his reply to the President’s speech in the Rajya Sabha, the prime minister said India was a success story under the UPA government and was a topic of discussion at world fora.
“I urge the leader of opposition to read more. He will then be educated enough not to use the harsh words he used against me by saying I am an eminent economist but made a mess of the country,” he said.
On Tuesday, while attacking the prime minister, Jaitley had said that though there was a wide consensus on Manmohan Singh being an “honest man” and his erudition as an economist, but the country did not have the government it deserves. “What use is that personal trait if he leads one of the most dishonest governments in history,” he had said.
The prime minister, who is 78 and has undergone heart surgery in 2009, spoke at length in parliament Thursday. He spoke thrice in the two houses on a single day - once in the Lok Sabha, then in the Rajya Sabha. Earlier, he also answered supplementaries during question hour in the Rajya Sabha. Manmohan Singh was seen sipping water during his replies - each lasting for about 45 minutes.
In the Lok Sabha too, striking a personal note, the prime minister said that during parliamentary debates questions can be raised on policy and its implementation, but not on his intentions. “If you start questioning intentions, this is not good for the growth of the parliamentary system,” he added.
- Assertive PM defends government, confronts opposition (News Analysis) - Feb 24, 2011
- Some unfortunate incidents, but no wrongdoer will escape: PM (Roundup) - Feb 24, 2011
- Wrongdoers in 2G will be dealt with severely: PM (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Rajya Sabha makes history; votes for Justice Sen's impeachment (Third Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Rajya Sabha creates history; votes for Justice Sen's impeachment (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- BJP totally united on CVC issue: Jaitley - Mar 12, 2011
- Opposition angered in Rajya Sabha as clarifications denied - Mar 18, 2011
- BJP to question PM on Thomas in Rajya Sabha - Mar 07, 2011
- Government acted undemocratically on Lokpal: BJP (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- BJP presses for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned till Thursday (Third Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- PM takes on opposition, denies Wiki leaks on cash-for-votes scam (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2011
- BJP renews demand for PM's resignation, disrupts parliament (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Parliament passed 17 bills during winter session (Parliament Roundup) - Dec 22, 2009
- PM admits 'error of judgment' in Thomas's appointment (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2011
- UPA defeats opposition amendments on NCTC in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: eminent economist, erudition, harsh words, heart surgery, honest man, janata party, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, parliamentary debates, parliamentary system, personal note, personal trait, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, retort, single day, success story