Re-polling underway in Chhattisgarh amid Maoist threatApril 27th, 2009 - 1:29 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 27 (IANS) Re-polling was underway Monday in 25 booths in three Lok Sabha seats in Chhattisgarh where Maoists had disrupted the electoral process Thursday.
Polling began at 7 a.m. at 20 booths in Maoist stronghold Bastar, four in Rajnandgaon and one in Korba. Poll booths will close at 3 p.m. in Bastar and at 4 p.m. in the other two constituencies.
Election officials said that 10-12 percent polling was recorded by 10.30 a.m.
Heavy security arrangements have been made, especially in Bastar, where two choppers are undertaking aerial surveillance.
Maoist rebels have called for a boycott of the parliamentary polls and threatened to chop off the hands of those casting their votes.
The state went to polls for all 11 Lok Sabha seats April 16. The Election Commission ordered the re-polling in 25 booths due to disruption of voting by Maoists.
On the day that the state went to the polls, Maoists killed seven people - five poll officials in a landmine blast in Rajnandgaon district and two Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel in a gunbattle in Dantewada district of Bastar region.
- Re-polling held in Chhattisgarh amid Maoist boycott (Lead) - Apr 27, 2009
- Bastar votes in by-poll amid Maoist firing (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Bastar records 40 percent polling amid Maoist blasts, firing (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- In Maoist bastion of Bastar, 200 polling booths relocated - Apr 28, 2011
- Chhattisgarh seeks extra troopers for Bastar by-poll - Apr 25, 2011
- Re-ballot ordered in Chhattisgarh's 25 polling stations - Apr 22, 2009
- Polling begins for Bastar amid Maoist violence - May 08, 2011
- Violence-hit Chhattisgarh records 50 percent polling (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- BJP government has no control in Bastar: Ajit Jogi - Apr 30, 2011
- Campaigning for third phase of Bihar Assembly polls ends today - Oct 26, 2010
- Eight candidates for Bastar Lok Sabha seat - Apr 22, 2011
- Tenth round of Bihar panchayat polls under way - May 18, 2011
- Congress struggles to keep morale high in Chhattisgarh - May 16, 2011
- Chhattisgarh records 25 percent polling, six killed in Maoist violence (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Battle for Bastar: tribal legislator threatens to dislodge BJP - May 07, 2011
Tags: aerial surveillance, boycott, chhattisgarh, constituencies, disruption, election commission, election officials, electoral process, gunbattle, heavy security, landmine blast, lok sabha seats, maoist, maoists, parliamentary polls, police force, poll booths, reserve police, security arrangements, stronghold