Re-poll ordered in two Bengal polling stationsApril 19th, 2011 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 19 (IANS) The Election Commission Tuesday ordered re-polling Wednesday in two polling stations of North Dinajpur and Cooch Behar districts of West Bengal after problems were detected with some electronic voting machines, an official said.
“During scrutiny it was found that the number of electors registered in the booths did not tally with the number of votes cast in booth number 63A of Karandighi and booth number 169A of Natabari.
“It was suspected that there have been some problems with the EVMs in those two booths,” said state Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Kumar Gupta.
“We sent our recommendation the Election Commission in Delhi and they ordered for re-poll in those two polling booths. Polling will be held in the polling booths Wednesday,” said Gupta.
The polling in six north Bengal districts - Cooch Behar, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, South Dinajpur, North Dinajpur and Malda - in the first phase of West Bengal assembly polls passed off peacefully Monday.
- Polling peaceful in West Bengal first phase (Intro Roundup) - Apr 18, 2011
- 70 percent turnout in peaceful Bengal polls (Roundup) - Apr 18, 2011
- Enthusiastic and peaceful polling in West Bengal (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Brisk polling in West Bengal, nearly 50 percent turnout till 1 p.m. - Apr 18, 2011
- Polling brisk and peaceful in West Bengal (Fourth Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Record 84.11 percent turnout in Bengal polls - Apr 19, 2011
- Polling peaceful in West Bengal, boycott in eight booths (Third Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Polling begins in Bengal, proceeds peacefully (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Polling begins for first phase of West Bengal elections - Apr 18, 2011
- Campaign ends for first phase of polling in West Bengal - Apr 16, 2011
- W. Bengal polls: 14 per cent vote cast in first two hours - Apr 18, 2011
- Polling underway for first phase of W. Bengal elections - Apr 18, 2011
- Poll process begins in Bengal's six districts Thursday - Mar 23, 2011
- Centre okays Rs.120 crore more for quake-hit West Bengal - Oct 13, 2011
- Poll boycott in some areas of West Bengal - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: assembly polls, booth number, chief electoral officer, cooch behar, darjeeling, dinajpur, election commission, electors, electronic voting machines, evms, gupta, jalpaiguri, malda, north bengal, poll, polling booths, polling stations, scrutiny, tally, west bengal