Re-investigate Modi role in 2002 riots: CPI-MMay 11th, 2012 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 11 (IANS) The CPI-M Friday sought a fresh investigation into Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s role in the 2002 riots, saying the Special Investigation Team (SIT) report was “flawed”.
“The report… on the communal violence and killings is flawed and seeks to cover-up the heinous role played by Modi,” the Communist Party of India-Marxist said in a statement.
It said the SIT report admits that Modi told officers then that Hindus should be allowed to vent their anger following the killing of Hindus in a train burning in Godhra.
“According to the SIT’s strange logic, a chief minister instructing senior police officers not to intervene and act against the violence is not a culpable action nor dereliction of duty.
“Further, the report shockingly provides a justification for the mob violence which led to the ghastly killing of Ehsan Jafri and others in the Gulberg society housing attack by giving credence to the report that Jafri provoked the mob by firing at them.”
The CPI-M added: “The SIT investigation and report has been vitiated by the lack of application of mind and by the inability to comprehend the premeditated actions of the executive in Gujarat.
“The SIT findings exonerating Modi have been questioned by the report submitted to the Supreme Court by the Amicus Curiae.
“A fresh investigation into the role and actions of Modi should be conducted, so that the truth comes out and accountability is fixed.”
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- 'SIT report has dealt with Ramachandran's contention' - May 07, 2012
- Timeline of Zakia Jafri's case - Sep 12, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Probe Modi, says Supreme Court amicus curiae - May 07, 2012
- Despite exoneration, Narendra Modi cannot play national role (Comment) - Apr 14, 2012
- Trial judge to decide Zakia Jafri's plea: Apex court - Sep 12, 2011
- Gujarat riots probe team gives report to apex court - Apr 26, 2011
- Top cop implicates Modi in Gujarat riots (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Apex court gives free hand to probe team - Mar 15, 2011
- Modi gets clean chit in Gulberg massacre (Roundup) - Apr 10, 2012
- It's official: Modi gets clean chit in Gulberg massacre - Apr 10, 2012
- Gujarat government expresses happiness over apex court order - Sep 12, 2011
- Zakia seeks copy of SIT report on Gujarat riots - Feb 09, 2012
- Amicus curiae's report does not matter: BJP - May 08, 2012
- Stop vilification campaign against Modi: BJP - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: chief minister, communal violence, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, credence, dereliction of duty, ehsan jafri, godhra, gujarat, hindus, investigation team, killings, mob violence, narendra modi, New Delhi, police officers, riots, sit report, strange logic