Raul Castro meets Iranian envoy, pledges stronger tiesJanuary 9th, 2009 - 5:55 am ICT by IANS
Havana, Jan 9 (Prensa Latina) Cuban President Raul Castro has expressed confidence in bolstering ties between Havana and Tehran while meeting Iran’s Industry and Mines Minister Ali Akbar Mezharabian, according to an official statement.Mezharabian, the special envoy of Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, delivered a message from the Iranian leader for the Cuban president and his brother Fidel, and stressed Iran´s friendship and solidarity towards Cuba.
During the meeting, Castro stressed on his “confidence that relations between Cuba and Iran will continue to get stronger, based on respect and gain”, said the statement released here Thursday,
The Cuban president also reiterated his country’s condemnation of the Israeli brutal aggression on Gaza.
The meeting was held Wednesday afternoon and was attended by Cuban Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque, Deputy Foreign Minister Marcos Rodriguez Costa and Iranian Ambassasdor to Cuba Mostafa Alaei.
Cuba and Iran - both are straunch critics of the US - share a strong relationship and trading between the two countries reached $5 million in 2006.
In 2008, Iran granted Cuba a 200-million-Euro credit line to undertake several different projects; a large part of that money was dedicated to financing Cuban imports of railroad wagons, both for cargo and passengers.
- Cuban president embarks on China, Vietnam trip - Jul 03, 2012
- Ahmadinejad visits Cuba - Jan 12, 2012
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Krishna to visit Cuba to further ties - Jun 12, 2012
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Fidel Castro addresses Cuban parliament - Aug 08, 2010
- Cuba, China to enhance military cooperation - Oct 28, 2011
- Jimmy Carter visits Cuba over the issue of tension with US - Mar 29, 2011
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Fidel Castro releases his book 'The Strategic Victory' - Aug 03, 2010
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Raul Castro secures cooperation commitments in China - Jul 06, 2012
- Cuba to invest $450 mn to boost rice production - May 12, 2012