Rashtriya Lok Dal joins National Democratic Alliance (Lead)March 2nd, 2009 - 1:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 2 (IANS) The Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) led by Ajit Singh announced its entry into the opposition National Democratic Alliance (NDA) here Monday. The RLD will have a poll pact with the main NDA constituent the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
The move was announced at a joint press conference addressed by Ajit Singh, NDA convener Sharad Yadav and BJP’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani, who said on the occasion that alliances had now become an essential part of Indian politics.
“NDA has the biggest profile of supporters of weaker sections and farmers and this gets completed with Ajit Singh joining the coalition,” Sharad Yadav said.
Led by Ajit Singh, son of former prime minister and farmers’ leader Charan Singh, the RLD has its traditional support base in the sugarcane belt of western Uttar Pradesh.
- Lok Dal to have poll alliance with BJP - Mar 02, 2009
- Ajit Singh's RLD joins NDA (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2009
- Sharad Yadav rejects Advani's prediction on 2014 polls - Aug 06, 2012
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Ajit Singh - a political acrobat - Dec 18, 2011
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP announces alliance with RLD - Mar 02, 2009
- Ajit Singh - a political acrobat (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- NDA to wait and watch: Advani (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Ajit Singh meets PM over farmers agitation - May 10, 2011
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Jaswant files nomination for vice presidential poll - Jul 20, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: ajit singh, alliances, bharatiya janata party, bjp, charan singh, constituent, convener, farmers, former prime minister, indian politics, l k advani, lok, national democratic alliance, nda, New Delhi, opposition, pact, prime ministerial candidate, sharad yadav, western uttar pradesh