Rape-accused Karnataka ex-minister’s blood test orderedMay 21st, 2010 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 21 (IANS) A magistrate’s court in Shimoga Friday permitted a blood test to be conducted on former Karnataka minister Haratalu Halappa, and directed him to give a blood sample for it.
Halappa is alleged to have raped his friend’s wife in Shimoga, about 270 km from here, in November last year.
The sample was demanded by the Crime Investigation Department of the Karnataka police that is probing the charges against Halappa and wants to conduct blood and DNA tests on him.
Halappa, who is in hospital in Bangalore for treatment of asthma, vertigo and heart problems, had earlier refused to give a sample.
Halappa is in judicial custody till May 24. He resigned as food and civil supplies minister May 2 and surrendered to the police in Shimoga, his home district May 9 after failing to get anticipatory bail.
The former minister has moved the high court for bail and the plea is likely to be heard May 24.
Chandravathi, wife of Venkatesh Murthy, a financier in Shimoga, had complained to the police that Halappa invited himself to a dinner at their house Nov 26, 2009. He stayed back for the night and raped her after sending out her husband late in the night to get medicines.
- Karnataka ex-minister to undergo DNA test over rape charge - May 27, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister to be shifted to Bangalore hospital - May 13, 2010
- Arrested Karnataka ex-minister admitted to hospital (Lead) - May 10, 2010
- Rape accused Karnataka ex-minister gets bail - Jun 24, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister jailed till May 15, still in hospital - May 10, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister arrested in rape case - May 09, 2010
- CID to probe Karnataka ex-minister for rape charges - May 03, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister facing rape charges eludes police - May 06, 2010
- Sexual assault case filed against Karnataka ex-minister (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- CID arrests Karnataka minister Hallappa for alleged rape - May 09, 2010
- 'Tainted' Karnataka minister appears before Shimoga Police - May 09, 2010
- Ex-Karnataka minister Halappa's bail plea in court today - May 11, 2010
- Dark Diwali for Karnataka BJP politicos (Karnataka Newsletter) - Oct 19, 2011
- Karnataka minister quits over sexual assault allegations - May 02, 2010
- Yeddyurappa: Clerk to chief minister to undertrial No.10462 - Oct 16, 2011
Tags: asthma, blood sample, blood test, civil supplies minister, crime investigation department, dna tests, financier, heart problems, judicial custody, karnataka minister, karnataka police, magistrate, may 24, medicines, plea, rape, shimoga, treatment of asthma, venkatesh murthy, vertigo