Ramlila Maidan ready for Ramdev campaign (Lead)August 8th, 2012 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) The Ramlila Maidan here is set for yoga guru Baba Ramdev’s campaign against corruption and black money from Thursday, with his aides expecting thousands from across the country to take part.
A similar show a year ago ended in violence and the death of a woman.
Ramdev told the media in Gujarat earlier in the day that he would take a morning flight Thursday to reach the capital.
“The ground is prepared. We have drained rainwater that had accumulated due to the afternoon showers,” Jaideep Arya, a key organizer, told IANS.
“We are expecting thousands of people from all over the country,” he added.
Thursday will mark the 70th anniversary of Quit India movement.
Speaking about the nature of the agitation, Arya said Ramdev alone would announce whether he would go on fast or not.
Ramdev supporters have already begun gathering here for a show that comes close on the heels of social activist Anna Hazare’s surprise decision to wind up Team Anna.
Hazare has said he will lend his support to Ramdev but it is not clear if he will actually make it to Ramlila ground.
Metal detectors have come up at entry and exit points to screen visitors, who are expected to flood the ground in the heart of the city.
Green colour carpets have been laid, tents and makeshift toilets have been set up. Colourful posters of the yoga guru have come up in and around the site.
According to another aide, S.K. Tijarawala, around 5,000 volunteers will work round the clock to ensure that nothing went amiss.
“Around 60 CCTV cameras will monitor the grounds. In addition, metal detectors and baggage scanners will be placed at all entry and exit points,” he said.
Delhi Police have given the organisers permission to host 30,000 people a day.
The yoga guru had staged a similar protest at the same venue in June 2011. But a midnight crackdown by Delhi Police ended in bedlam, leaving a woman dead. Ramdev was then forced to leave Delhi.
The yoga guru has been allowed to hold the ground till Aug 30.
- Delhi braces for another Ramdev protest - Aug 08, 2012
- Ramlila Maidan all set for Baba Ramdev's agitation - Aug 07, 2012
- Ramdev to hold fast in Delhi from Aug 9 - Jul 24, 2012
- Ramlila ground gets busy ahead of Ramdev fast - Jun 02, 2011
- Ramdev taken to Dehradun hospital; fast continues, say aides (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Work in full swing at Ramlila Ground (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Ramdev, Anna hold day-long fast in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Hazare puts conditions for Ramdev to join fast - Jun 27, 2011
- It's Ramdev show at fast venue - Jun 03, 2012
- Now, Ramdev caps, bands a hit at Ramlila ground - Aug 09, 2012
- Baba Ramdev asks PM to act on black money (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Ramdev aide seeks inquiry into police action - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev back at Ramlila ground, on three-day fast (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Ramdev, Anna to sit on day-long fast in Delhi - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev determined to fast; PM, Sonia mull ways to dissuade him (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: 70th anniversary, afternoon showers, agitation, anna hazare, bedlam, black money, cctv cameras, crackdown, delhi police, exit points, gujarat, heart of the city, india movement, leaving a woman, metal detectors, morning flight, rainwater, social activist, surprise decision, yoga guru