Ramlila Maidan all set for Baba Ramdev’s agitationAugust 7th, 2012 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) Closed circuit televisions (CCTVs), waterproof tents and round the clock food, water and medical facilities - preparations are in overdrive at Delhi’s Ramlila Maidan for yoga guru Baba Ramdev’s agitation, commencing Thursday, against corruption and black money stashed abroad.
Workers and volunteers were busy putting up tents, carpets, posters around the ground and draining off excess rain water.
According to S.K. Tijarawala, Ramdev’s media coordinator, around 5,000 trained volunteers will work round the clock to ensure that the premises are secured and the supporters as well as the agitators are comfortable.
“Around 60 CCTV cameras will monitor the grounds. In addition, metal detectors and baggage scanners will be placed on all the entry and exit points,” Tijarawala told IANS adding that the Delhi Police had given them the permission for a gathering of 30,000.
Anticipating a huge turnout, crowds will be streamlined at the entrance. The main gate of the ground will be open to the general public while the six gates facing the Municipal Corporation of Delhi building will be reserved - two each for women and senior citizens, and one each for the media and VIPs.
Apart from the main dais, where Ramdev would be present, two huge tents have been erected on both sides for those agitating with him while the supporters would be seated in the front. Tents around the dais are waterproof while those at the back are not.
However, Tijarawala refrained from commenting on the nature of the protest saying that Ramdev would himself announce whether it is an indefinite hunger strike or just a protest when he reaches the venue Thursday.
Meanwhile, Anna Hazare, who ended a 10-day-agitation for Janlokpal Bill at Jantar Mantar here Sunday would also be joining Ramdev in his agitation.
The yoga guru, along with his supporters last year too had agitated at the same venue but had to stop it after a midnight crackdown by Delhi Police which also claimed a woman’s life.
- Delhi braces for another Ramdev protest - Aug 08, 2012
- Ramlila Maidan ready for Ramdev campaign (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Ramlila ground gets ready for Ramdev's fast - Jun 01, 2011
- Thousands come, drawn to Ramdev more than his cause - Jun 03, 2011
- Ramdev to hold fast in Delhi from Aug 9 - Jul 24, 2012
- Ramdev supporters head home, vow to oppose Congress - Aug 14, 2012
- Ramdev begins anti-graft agitation at Ramlila Maidan - Aug 09, 2012
- Work in full swing at Ramlila Ground (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Three-day meditation in Gujarat before Delhi agitation: Ramdev - Aug 05, 2012
- Baba Ramdev asks PM to act on black money (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Ramdev firm on fast; PM, Sonia favour more talks (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2011
- Ramdev announces peaceful march to parliament (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramlila ground gets busy ahead of Ramdev fast - Jun 02, 2011
- Ramdev determined to fast; PM, Sonia mull ways to dissuade him (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2011
- Ramdev adamant on fast, Anna upset with government (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: agitation, agitators, anna hazare, baba ramdev, black money, cctv cameras, circuit televisions, dais, delhi police, excess rain, exit points, indefinite hunger strike, mantar, media coordinator, metal detectors, municipal corporation of delhi, rain water, s media, senior citizens, yoga guru