Ramlila grounds may be Hazare fast venueAugust 17th, 2011 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) The spacious Ramlila grounds in north Delhi is emerging as the likely venue for Anna Hazare to hold his fast-unto-death for a strong anti-corruption law, informed sources said.
It was likely that Hazare, who has been in Tihar Jail since Tuesday and refused to come out until he is allowed to conduct his protest without any conditions, would be allowed to fast for up to seven days, the sources said.
Prashant Bhushan, senior lawyer and member of the joint drafting committee of the Lokpal bill, told mediapersons outside the jail that Ramlila Grounds was actively being considered.
Whatever the decision, it will be suitable to Hazare and his supporters, he added.
He asked the hundreds of activists gathered outside the jail to keep calm. He also called upon all supporters to gather at India Gate in the heart of the capital for important declarations.
Hazare, 74, imprisoned Tuesday afternoon ahead of his planned fast, was ordered to be released at night. However, he refused to be released till his original demand for undertaking a fast in the city was allowed.
The sources said representatives of the Anna team, including Prashant Bhushan and Kiran Bedi, took part in the negotiations in the jail. Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar also met Hazare.
- Hazare appeals to people to maintain peace - Aug 17, 2011
- Close aides meet Anna in Tihar Jail - Aug 17, 2011
- Hazare to reach Ramlila via Rajghat, India Gate (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Kiran Bedi, Shanti Bhushan released - Aug 16, 2011
- Chronology of an epochal fast - Aug 28, 2011
- Hazare wants to continue fast at J.P. Park: Aides (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Rains may spoil Anna's fast - Aug 19, 2011
- Hazare to leave Tihar 11 a.m. Friday: Kejriwal - Aug 19, 2011
- I am hale and hearty, says Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- Anna arrested, sent to Tihar (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna to continue his fast at Ramlila ground Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Government blinks, Anna on fast track (Intro Roundup) - Aug 18, 2011
- Anna to leave Tihar, hold fast at Ramlila ground (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Anna to stay in jail until his fast venue is certain (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Noida farmers march to support Anna - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: activists, anna hazare, corruption, declarations, drafting committee, heart, india gate, kiran bedi, lawyer, negotiations, New Delhi, north delhi, protest, ravi shankar, seven days, spiritual leader, sri sri ravi, tuesday afternoon