Ramesh Pokhriyal is new Uttarakhand chief minister (Lead)June 24th, 2009 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) Ramesh Pokhriyal was Wednesday named the chief minister of Uttarakhand replacing B.C. Khanduri, who has stepped down after the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) complete rout in the state in the recent Lok Sabha elections.
A meeting of the BJP legislators here Wednesday morning unanimously selected Pokhriyal, party soruces said, adding that his name was proposed by Khanduri.
“I thank party members and Khanduriji. As chief minister, my efforts will be to work to fulfil Khandurji’s dream to make our state heaven on earth,” Pokhriyal told reporters.
Flanked by senior BJP leader M. Venkaiah Nadu and Khanduri, Pokhriyal said: “I hope to live up to all expectations. Khanduriji has been my guiding force since I entered politics in 1991 and I will work on his mission to make Uttarakhand a model state.”
Pokhriyal held the health portfolio in Khanduri’s cabinet.
Khanduri had offered to step down following the party’s poor performance in the state in the Lok Sabha elections and the party Tuesday accepted his resignation.
In the April-May elections, the state’s ruling party lost all five Lok Sabha seats from the state. In 2004, the party had won three of these seats.
Khanduri, 75, was facing a rebellion from party legislators since poll results. Former chief minister Bhagat Singh Koshiyari, leading the rebels, had last week submitted his resignation as Rajya Sabha member - a move seen as pressuring the party to name him as the next chief minister, but he was asked to withdraw his resignation.
Khanduri will now submit his resignation to Uttarakhand Governor B.L. Joshi Thursday and then Pokhriyal will be sworn in.
- Khanduri again becomes Uttarkahand chief minister - Sep 11, 2011
- Ramesh Pokhriyal is new Uttarakhand chief minister - Jun 24, 2009
- Khanduri to be Uttarakhand chief minister again (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- Uttarakhand CM Khandori asked to resign - Jun 23, 2009
- Khanduri steps down as Uttarakhand chief minister - Jun 23, 2009
- BJP tells Pokhriyal to step down Sunday - Sep 10, 2011
- B C Khanduri resigns as Uttarakhand chief minister - Jun 23, 2009
- Khanduri's successor to be elected today - Jun 24, 2009
- Not poaching among BJP for Bahuguna's seat: Rawat - Apr 27, 2012
- Khanduri steps down as Uttarakhand chief minister (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- BJP seeks PM's intervention to save temple - Jul 07, 2012
- Uttarakhand BJP's Koshiyari quits as Rajya Sabha member - Jun 17, 2009
- Congress holds edge in split Uttarakhand verdict (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Bright sun brings highest turnout in Uttarakhand (Third Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Peaceful polling in Uttarakhand (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: bhagat singh, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chief minister, health portfolio, heaven on earth, joshi, legislators, lok sabha elections, lok sabha seats, model state, party members, poll results, poor performance, rajya sabha, resignation, rout, ruling party, sabha member, wednesday morning