Ramdev’s eviction attack on Indian democracy: ChouhanJune 5th, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 5 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan Sunday condemned the forcible midnight eviction of yoga guru Baba Ramdev, who was on an indefinite fast at Delhi’s Ramlila Ground, terming it an “attack on Indian democracy”.
“The attack on Swami Ramdev and his supports late night was an attack on Indian democracy. It was also a violation of the constitutional rights of the people,” a visibly upset Chouhan told reporters.
Like several leaders of his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and civil society activists, Chouhan also said that the incident reminded of the Emergency period (1975-77).
“The incident also shows that the government fears the issue of corruption and black money,” he added.
Meanwhile, in several districts of Madhya Pradesh including Bhopal, Indore, Gwalior, Jabalpur and Chindwara, activists of the Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarti Parishad that is affiliated to Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh and the Rastriya Jagran Manch held demonstrations, blocked roads and burnt effigies of the central government in protest against the action.
- Madhya Pradesh college teacher roughed up by students dies - Mar 12, 2011
- Kamal Nath joins Ramdev's fight against corruption - May 23, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh to have emergency '108' service in all districts - May 24, 2011
- Ramdev crackdown: Attack on Digvijay's house - Jun 06, 2011
- Action at Ramdev meeting undemocratic: Naveen Patnaik - Jun 05, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh's junior doctors call off strike - Nov 20, 2011
- Congress protests Madhya Pradesh's fertiliser, power shortage (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Chouhan gifts Bhopal a stadium on India's win - Mar 31, 2011
- A jail superintendent worth Rs.3 crores! - Mar 01, 2012
- Shops shut as Congress, Team Anna protest cop's murder - Mar 13, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh sees clashes, arrests during shutdown (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Student leader accused of professor's murder found dead - Nov 20, 2011
- Near total shutdown in Madhya Pradesh - Jul 05, 2010
- Indore man killed for Rs.600 - Feb 26, 2012
- Gwalior junior doctors call off strike - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: akhil, bharatiya janata party, bhopal, bjp, black money, central government, chief minister, civil society activists, constitutional rights, corruption, demonstrations, effigies, eviction, indian democracy, jabalpur, late night, ramlila, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, swami ramdev, yoga guru