Ramdev promised to call off fast by Saturday, says Sibal (Lead)June 4th, 2011 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal claimed that yoga guru Baba Ramdev had Friday promised to call off his fast by Saturday afternoon if his demands were met.
Sibal displayed a letter given on behalf of Ramdev. As a follow-up to the letter, Sibal claimed that the government contacted Ramdev on phone Saturday afternoon as he had not called off the fast.
Sibal said the government was ready to make a law to make ill-gotten money stashed away in foreign countries as national asset. For drafting the law, a committee will be appointed with a six month time-frame.
“The readiness to form a committee means the government is committed to make the law,” Sibal added.
However, Ramdev continued his fast at the Ramlila Ground, denied the government’s version and described Sibal’s claim as “betrayal”.
He declared that he will not end the fast till the government gives a written assurance on their demands.
As he asked the thousands of people gathered at the grounds as to “who will support me till their last breath if I am arrested”, the supporters raised their hands in unison.
Sibal claimed that all the demands of Ramdev have been met by the government.
The government has agreed to make a law declaring black money as a national asset and to award severe punishment to the offenders.
He said that Ramdev had “misapprehensions” about the government approach, which he wanted to clarify.
Sibal said the government had made public its acceptance of other demands of Ramdev, which included monitoring of people’s travel to tax havens, and enactment of a public services delivery law.
- Government, Ramdev head for a showdown? (Roundup) - Jun 05, 2011
- Have agreed to most of Ramdev's demands: Sibal - Jun 04, 2011
- Ramdev slams government's 'betrayal', fast to continue (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- Ramdev broke promise, was rousing passions: Government (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Talks fail, Ramdev's anti-graft fast on (Intro Roundup) - Jun 04, 2011
- Ramdev refuses to call off fast against corruption (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- Pranab, Sibal meet Baba Ramdev at Delhi airport - Jun 01, 2011
- Government agrees to my demands, but fast on: Ramdev - Jun 04, 2011
- Will restart agitation from Haridwar: Ramdev (Third Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Timeline of Ramdev's nine-day fast - Jun 12, 2011
- Ramdev to go on fast as talks fail (Second Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Ramdev to begin fast Saturday as talks fail (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2011
- Pranab, Sibal meet Baba Ramdev at Delhi airport (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Police crackdown a stigma on democracy: Ramdev (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Maoists condemn Ramlila Ground action, question Ramdev's assets - Jun 10, 2011
Tags: betrayal, black money, development minister, enactment, foreign countries, government approach, human resource development, kapil sibal, last breath, national asset, New Delhi, saturday afternoon, services delivery, severe punishment, tax havens, time frame, unison, yoga guru