Ramdev plans fast-unto-death, seeking death penalty for graftMay 4th, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 4 (IANS) Yoga guru Baba Ramdev Wednesday announced he will go on a fast-unto-death from June 4 in New Delhi to demand capital punishment for corrupt officials and recovery of black money stashed away in Swiss banks by Indian politicians and businessmen.
Speaking to reporters here, Ramdev said that names of all foreign bank account holders should be made public and high denomination currency notes like of Rs.500 and Rs.1,000 be banned.
“Despite knowledge about it, the central government has not taken any concrete decision on the issue of black money plaguing the country,” Ramdev said.
He is likely to be joined by social activist Anna Hazare, former police officer Kiran Bedi and Karnataka ‘Lokayukta’ (ombudsman) Santosh Hegde.
Ramdev said his supporters in India and from abroad will join him in the hunger fast at New Delhi’s Ramlila Ground.
Vowing to continue the fight against corruption, Ramdev said a strong Lokpal Bill should be enacted by August this year, as assured by the central government after a hunger strike by Hazare in New Delhi last month.
Ramdev said he plans to write to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, highlighting issues related to corruption in the country.
Ramdev reiterated this is not a platform for him to join politics. “I have no ambitions to be a politician and will never take part in active politics.”
Ramdev is at present touring Mumbai and surrounding areas as part of his 300-day nationwide tour to teach yoga to the masses.
- Ramdev to continue fast, gives Monday deadline to PM (lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Ramdev, Hazare to fast against corruption (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Nationwide protests against black money Sunday: Ramdev - Jun 01, 2012
- Congress shielding those with black money abroad, says Ramdev (Second Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- 'Action against Ramdev reminder of emergency' - Jun 05, 2011
- Anna detained for his 'madness', says tourism minister - Aug 16, 2011
- Ramdev to continue fast, gives deadline to PM - Aug 12, 2012
- Hazare's detention unconstitutional: Ramdev - Aug 16, 2011
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev adamant on fast, Anna upset with government (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Mumbai dabbawalas, Vidarbha farmers back Ramdev - Jun 03, 2011
- Activists to meet PM on Lokpal Bill - Mar 06, 2011
- Thousands join Ramdev's anti-graft fast (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- Ramdev to hold fast in Delhi from Aug 9 - Jul 24, 2012
- Thousands join Ramdev's fast, Congress calls it 'five-star satyagraha' (Evening Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, black money, central government, corrupt officials, currency notes, denomination, fight against corruption, hunger strike, indian politicians, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationwide tour, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ramlila, rs 1, rs 500, social activist, swiss banks, yoga guru