Ramdev draws crowds to Team Anna stir, dissents on attacking president (Second Lead)July 27th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) Yoga guru Ramdev Friday lent support to Team Anna’s thinning anti-corruption campaign, but he slammed the team members for attacking President Pranab Mukherjee.
Ramdev, who got thousands of his supporters to join the Team Anna campaign, said: “The president’s is a constitutional post. One should not criticise those who occupy constitutional posts. Even Anna Hazare agrees with this.”
Speaking to reporters at Ramlila ground, before leaving for Jantar Mantar, the yoga guru said: “The person who is sitting at the highest office of constitution, one should not make comment about him… In present circumstances, one should not name Pranab Mukherjee. Whatever is there, can be seen after five years,” he said.
Hazare had congratulated Mukherjee on becoming president and disapproved of criticizing the president, contrary to the strident criticism of Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal who accused Mukherjee as also other ministers of the United Progressive Alliance government of graft.
Ramdev’s presence saw the crowds which had started to fizzle out at Jantar Mantar begin to surge again.
The empty areas begin to fill up as Ramdev arrived at around 4 p.m. after inspecting the Ramlila ground - the site for his agitation starting Aug 9.
Ramdev, addressing the crowd at Jantar Mantar, vowed support to Team Anna’s protest action.
“We will support whoever fights against corruption. This fight is to protect the country,” Ramdev said.
Before Ramdev arrived at Jantar Mantar, only about 400 people were present at the venue at noon, contrary to the thousands that would turn out at Team Anna’s earlier agitations in Delhi.
Ramdev will be starting an indefinite fast against black money Aug 9 at Ramlila Maidan.
Anna Hazare said that the size of the crowd did not matter.
“It is not by gathering a crowd that a movement becomes stronger. The success and failure of a movement does not depend on the size of the crowd,” he said at Jantar Mantar.
After targeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other ministers over the last two days, Team Anna member and lawyer Prashant Bhushan leveled corruption allegations against union ministers Praful Patel, Farooq Abdullah and Sushil Kumar Shinde, among others.
“The corruption charges against (former civil aviation minister) Praful Patel have only been rested to parliamentary committees. Nothing substantial has ever been done,” Bhushan said addressing the crowds at the fast venue.
Bhushan alleged Shipping Minister G.K Vasan was involved in a land leasing scam at Kandla Port in Gujarat.
“The land-lease deal expired in 2004, even then Vasan and his aides leased the land at cheap rates. The matter is still pending in government files,” he said.
He also alleged that union minister and National Conference leader Farooq Abdullah was involved in misusing public money during his stint with the Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association.
Bhushan, continuing his tirade on ministers, said: “They are not the only ones to have scam charges leveled against them. Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde is also a minister who managed to influence the CBI in spite of his role in the Adarsh land scam.”
“This shows that CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) is also under pressure from influential ministers,” Bhushan said to cheers from the crowd.
- Crowds swell as Ramdev comes to Team Anna's fast site (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Rift mars Anna-Ramdev joint fast against corruption (Third Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Anna to reach Delhi July 24, team gears up for agitation (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Anna, team to boycott Lokpal Bill meeting; fast June 8 (Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev to hold fast in Delhi from Aug 9 - Jul 24, 2012
- Ramdev, Hazare to fast against corruption (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev, Anna to sit on day-long fast in Delhi - Jun 03, 2012
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev, Anna hold day-long fast in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Team Anna volunteers gear up for fast - Jul 23, 2012
- Team Anna charges Manmohan, Chidambaram, Pranab of corruption (Second Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Hazare team to boycott Lokpal Bill meeting, to fast June 8 (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Team Anna attacks Manmohan, Chidambaram and Pranab (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Lukewarm response to Team Anna fast on Day Four - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: agitation, alliance government, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, black money, corruption, crowds, dissents, empty areas, graft, guru ramdev, jantar mantar, maidan, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, progressive alliance, protest action, success and failure, team members, yoga guru