Ramdev detained on way to parliament (Lead)August 13th, 2012 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 13 (IANS) Yoga guru Baba Ramdev was detained by police Monday as he led protestors towards parliament seeking the return of black money stashed abroad and an end to corruption.
Ramdev was detained on the Ranjit Singh flyover in central Delhi.
Addressing the milling crowd before he was detained, Ramdev said it had been a peaceful march from the nearby Ramlila Maidan.
“There was no intention to spread violence and unrest. We respect law and order and democracy. But police are stopping us on the orders of the government,” he added, as a policeman held his hand to lead him away.
“The Congress is not with us,” he said, standing atop a truck. He had earlier said that he had the support of some opposition political parties.
According to police, the protestors were detained and taken in buses to Rajendra Prasad stadium in northwest Delhi. They will be kept under arrest at the stadium.
- Baba Ramdev detained in Ambedkar Stadium - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev supporters detained by police - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev's parliament march thwarted, gains wide political support (Intro Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev's parliament march thwarted, gains wide political support (Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev's movement politically motivated: Sheila Dikshit - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev's parliament march thwarted, gains wide political support (Second Intro Roundup) - Aug 14, 2012
- NDA leaders call on Ramdev (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev was asked to leave, started protesting: Delhi Police (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Our strategy needs to change: Ramdev - Aug 11, 2012
- Get all on board to get black money back, Mayawati tells UPA - Aug 13, 2012
- Parties back black money issue inside, outside parliament (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev begins anti-graft agitation at Ramlila Maidan - Aug 09, 2012
- Ramdev supporters head home, vow to oppose Congress - Aug 14, 2012
- We are here to battle corruption: Ramdev supporters - Aug 10, 2012
- Ramdev to hold fast in Delhi from Aug 9 - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: black money, buses, central delhi, corruption, democracy, flyover, intention, law and order, milling crowd, New Delhi, parliament, peaceful march, policeman, political parties, protestors, rajendra prasad, ramlila, ranjit singh, unrest, yoga guru