Ramdev-Anna alliance will not lead to results: Samajwadi PartyJune 3rd, 2012 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) Yoga guru Ramdev and Anna Hazare were together because they “need each other’s support” but this alliance “will not lead to any result”, Samajwadi Party leader Shahid Siddiqui said Sunday.
“Ramdev has no reputation, though he has money and even an entertainment factor. Anna Hazare has a good reputation, but his group has left him alone. So both are supporting each other because they need each other, but this will not lead to any result,” Siddiqui said as Hazare and Ramdev staged a joint agitation in Jantar Mantar here.
The Congress too criticised the sit-in by the Hazare and Ramdev, and the latter’s attacks against the prime minister, saying it was “not in the favour of the nation.”
Union Minister of State for Agriculture Harish Rawat said the activists, in the name of fighting corruption, were destroying democratic institutions.
“In the name of fighting corruption they want to destroy all institutions. It will not be accepted,” Rawat said.
“Prime minister’s post is the highest institution in democracy, attacking it is not in favour of the nation,” he said.
Another Congress leader Keshav Rao said the government has taken several steps to control corruption.
“We invited a private group to come and sit and draft a bill (Lokpal). The government has taken it seriously. The nation has taken up the issue… The spirit of the agitation is being taken seriously. And we are doing it… But you must give scope for everybody to speak,” he said.
“This is an infantile approach and absolutely uncalled for. The entire nation knows corruption has to be fought and we are fighting it,” Rao said.
Ramdev, during a speech earlier Sunday, said the prime minister needed to ensure “political honesty” along with “personal honesty”.
“The prime minister said that ‘I am honest’, but the country does not see you as an individual,” Ramdev said.
“The nation respects you for being an honest individual, but you should also be honest politically. The country sees you as the person holding the highest constitutional post. Your personal honesty is not enough… Keep your cabinet honest,” he added.
Members of team Anna had also attacked the prime minister recently. The anti-corruption group had come out with documents levying corruption allegations against several union cabinet ministers. They have also slammed parliament and MPs on several occasions.
- Rift mars Anna-Ramdev joint fast against corruption (Third Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev launches attack against prime minister - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev to continue fast, gives Monday deadline to PM (lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Hazare to support Ramdev's Aug 9 protest - Jul 17, 2012
- Ramdev ends fast, targets PM; Congress hits back (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Ramdev draws crowds to Team Anna stir, dissents on attacking president (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Ink attack stuns Ramdev, attacker faces mob fury (Roundup) - Jan 14, 2012
- Consider plea for CBI probe against Team Anna: Court (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Hazare writes to PM on fast from Aug 16 (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- No further talks with government on Lokpal: Hazare (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Ramdev ends fast with chants of 'Congress hatao', targets PM (Roundup) - Aug 14, 2012
- Ramdev determined to fast; PM, Sonia mull ways to dissuade him (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2011
- Hazare is surrounded by anti-national elements: Narayanasamy - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: agitation, anna hazare, congress leader, democratic institutions, entertainment factor, guru ramdev, harish rawat, keshav, mantar, minister of state, nation union, party leader, personal honesty, private group, rao, several steps, shahid, siddiqui, union minister, yoga guru