Ramdev alleges rape attempts during police crackdown (Second Lead)June 26th, 2011 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) In startling revelations days after the June 4 crackdown on his camp at tge Ramlila ground, yoga guru Baba Ramdev alleged Sunday there were attempts to rape the women during the midnight raid and that he would have been killed had he not run away.
“There was attempt to rape the women and molestation… human rights were violated,” Ramdev alleged at a press conference, returning to the national capital three weeks after being forced out by police.
“We will give the proof related to this when the time comes,” he said.
The police had swooped down on his camp on June 4 midnight and dismantled the camp. Many of his supporters were injured in the crackdown and Ramdev was barred from entering Delhi for a fortnight. He went to his ashram in Haridwar to continue his fast against corruption.
The yoga guru also alleged that the crackdown on his camp was an attempt to murder him.
“They say I ran away, if I would not have left, they would have killed me,” Ramdev said.
“I did not want to die as an animal in the hands of the puppet police controlled by the centre, so I was leaving the camp,” he said.
Ramdev was caught by police June 5 early morning as he was trying to leave the camp in the garb of a woman along with a few women devotees.
“This government is not only corrupt but also cruel. If I had not asked the people to stay calm, there would have been a pool of dead bodies,” he alleged.
The yoga guru also said that the news of his being a face of the communal forces and possessing black money was being spread by his opponents.
“If the government finds any black money with me, they can declare it national property,” he said.
“I am not the face of any party or organisation, I am not communal, I am only the face of billions of Indians,” he said.
The popular yoga guru returned to the Indian capital Sunday to meet one of his women supporters Raj Bala, 51, who is admitted in G.B. Pant Hospital. She suffered spinal injuries in the police crackdown.
“Behen Raj Bala is in very critical condition. Only a miracle can save her once the ventilator is removed,” he said.
- If I've black money, make it national property: Ramdev (Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- Government does not want to see me alive: Ramdev (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2011
- Ramdev trains guns on Chidambaram - Sep 27, 2011
- Ramdev meets injured supporter in hospital - Jun 26, 2011
- Furious Ramdev hits out, talks of murder and rape (Intro Roundup) - Jun 26, 2011
- Ramdev backs Hazare against allegations - Aug 14, 2011
- CPI-M flays Ramdev, government for 'backstage deal' (Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev to meet president - Aug 17, 2011
- Government had to act after Ramdev continued fast: Bansal - Jun 12, 2011
- PM defends crackdown on Ramdev - Jun 06, 2011
- Ramdev evicted for daring to raise voice, apex court told - Oct 17, 2011
- Ramdev asks president to intervene in Anna saga (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Will train nationalists, not Maoists: Ramdev - Jun 09, 2011
- Ramdev banned from entering Delhi for 15 days - Jun 05, 2011
- Three-day meditation in Gujarat before Delhi agitation: Ramdev - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: ashram, bala, billions, black money, communal forces, corruption, dead bodies, devotees, fortnight, garb, haridwar, indians, New Delhi, opponents, pant, police crackdown, puppet, rape, startling revelations, yoga guru