Ramdev a ‘face of RSS’, says government justifying crackdownJune 5th, 2011 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) Accusing him of being a front for the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS), the government Sunday said the action against Ramdev and his supporters was justified.
“Today it has become clear that he is another face of the RSS,” a combative Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal said in the first official reaction on the forced dispersal of Ramdev and thousands of his supporters from Ramlila ground after midnight Saturday.
Sibal said Ramdev had told the government he would only hold a yoga camp for about 5,000 people at the Ramlila ground. “How did he collect 50,000 people?” the minister asked.
Saying the government was confident of handling any situation following Ramdev’s externment from Delhi, he refused to go into details of the talks he and other ministers had with the yoga guru.
The government held more than one round of talks with Ramdev before he went on a hunger strike Saturday morning against corruption and black money stashed abroad by Indians.
“What we have done is right,” Sibal told reporters.
- Ramdev slams government's 'betrayal', fast to continue (Lead) - Jun 04, 2011
- Midnight crackdown on Ramdev gives government nightmares (Roundup) - Jun 05, 2011
- Delhi Police took decision to evict Ramdev: Chidambaram - Jun 08, 2011
- Midnight swoop on Ramdev gives government nightmares (Intro Roundup) - Jun 05, 2011
- Despite assurance, Ramdev was rousing passions: Government (Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev banned from entering Delhi for 15 days - Jun 05, 2011
- Ramdev broke promise, was rousing passions: Government (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Midnight action breaks up Ramdev's anti-corruption fast - Jun 05, 2011
- BMS supports Baba Ramdev - Jun 03, 2011
- Crackdown unfortunate, but no alternative: PM on Ramdev (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Police crackdown a stigma on democracy: Ramdev (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Timeline of Ramdev's nine-day fast - Jun 12, 2011
- Talks with ministers fail, Ramdev to go on fast (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Ramdev threatens to arm supporters, government slams him (Roundup) - Jun 08, 2011
- Crackdown unfortunate, but no alternative: PM on Ramdev (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: black money, corruption, crackdown, development minister, dispersal, human resource development, hunger strike, indians, kapil sibal, New Delhi, rashtriya swayamsewak sangh, saturday morning, yoga camp, yoga guru