Ram Sene activists target Kerala legislator’s daughter, friendFebruary 6th, 2009 - 11:36 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore/Kasargode (Kerala), Feb 6 (IANS) After women in a pub in Mangalore, it was the turn of a Kerala legislator’s daughter to face the wrath of Sri Rama Sene as she and a friend of hers were Friday targeted allegedly by members of the rightwing organisation.C.H. Kunhambu, a legislator of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) that is part of Kerala’s ruling Left Democratic Front (LDF), said his daughter was held hostage by Sene activists near Mangalore.
She was returning from her home in Manjeswaram in the northern Kerala, bordering Karnataka, for her college hostel in Mangalore, when some people shouted abuses at her and a boy accompanying her, said Kunhambu.
“She is a plus-2 student of the St Aloysius College in Mangalore. Since her exams start tomorrow, she boarded a bus to Mangalore from my home around 4.30 p.m. On the way, a boy, her classmate, also boarded the bus. As they were reaching Mangalore, she said a few men started shouting abuses at both of them,” Kunhambu told IANS by telephone.
Later, these people were found to be activists of Sri Ram Sene, said the legislator from Manjeshwar in Kasargod district.
“She said she was held hostage for almost an hour. It was only after the bus conductor informed the police that things eased out and she was let off,” said Kunhambu.
The girl’s mother M. Sumathi said while she was not attacked, the boy was assaulted and abducted for a while.
“She was on way to Mangalore from Kasargod (in neighbouring Kerala) in a bus and met a brother of one of her friends. As the bus entered Mangalore, a group of people came and took away the boy,” Sumathi told IANS by telephone from Kasargod.
Sumathi said she did not know the name of the boy.
The Mangalore police said they have not received any complaint so far about the incident.
Sri Ram Sene president Pramod Muthalik, whose men attacked young women in a bar on Jan 24, said in Bangalore his outfit was not involved in the incident.
- Complete breakdown of law and order in Karnataka: Renuka Chowdhury - Feb 07, 2009
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- Five arrested for attack on Kerala legislator's daughter (Roundup) - Feb 08, 2009
- BJP's lotus again fails to bloom in Kerala - May 13, 2011
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Stop making irresponsible statements: Yeddyurappa tells Renuka - Feb 08, 2009
- Two detained for attack on Kerala legislator's daughter - Feb 07, 2009
- Achuthanandan writes to Yeddyurappa, demands action against goons - Feb 08, 2009
- No religion for purpose of statecraft: Parrikar - Jun 13, 2012
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Ram Sene chief Muthalik attacked in Bangalore - Feb 11, 2010
- Ram Sene should be monitored: Congress - Jun 21, 2012
- No faith in Karnataka police, says Kerala's Marxist legislator - Feb 08, 2009
- Mangalore police arrests two men for assaulting MLA''s daughter - Feb 07, 2009
- False allegations leveled against Sri Ram Sena: Muthalik - Feb 07, 2009
Tags: abducted, bus conductor, classmate, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, jan 24, karnataka, ldf, legislator, mangalore, northern kerala, pramod, rightwing, sene, sri ram, sri rama, st aloysius college, sumathi, target