Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back HazareJuly 29th, 2012 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Ralegan-Siddhi (Maharashtra), July 29 (IANS) Residents of Anna Hazare’s native village Ralegan-Siddhi in Maharashtra stood solidly behind the activist who Sunday launched an indefinite hunger strike in Delhi in support of the anti-graft Jan Lokpal bill.
According to village head and close confidante of Hazare, Jaisingh Mapare, hundreds of villagers took out a morning rally to support the anti-corruption agitation in the national capital. This will be followed up by another rally, he added.
Mapare said that Monday onwards, batches of villagers will sit on hunger strike to express solidarity with Hazare’s agitation.
On two previous occasions when Hazare, 75, resorted to hunger agitations, hundreds of Ralegan-Siddhi villagers, including women, also went on fast in support of the cause.
Team Anna members, led by Arvind Kejriwal, began an indefinite fast Wednesday to press for a strong Jan Lokpal bill and demanding an inquiry into the allegations of corruption against over a dozen ministers.
Hazare had said that he would join them Sunday if the government failed to take immediate steps to check corruption in high places.
Team Anna has permission to fast at Jantar Mantar observatory in central Delhi till Aug 8, the day the parliament’s monsoon session is expected to begin.
This is Hazare’s third indefinite hunger strike demanding a Jan Lokpal bill.
- Anna set for fast, politicians hit back (Evening Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Hazare leaves for Delhi to hold token fast - Dec 10, 2011
- Gherao MPs opposing Jan Lokpal: Hazare - Sep 10, 2011
- Hazare's village observes day-long shut down - Dec 11, 2011
- Hazare weak but well, to address rally - Sep 02, 2011
- Joy over Hazare's victory in Maharashtra - Apr 09, 2011
- Hazare unwell, advised rest ahead of fast - Dec 08, 2011
- Anna gets Left, right support for strong Lokpal (Roundup) - Dec 11, 2011
- Parallel agitations in Mumbai, Delhi: Hazare - Dec 23, 2011
- Government not serious about fighting graft, says Hazare - Dec 07, 2011
- Not launching political party: Anna Hazare (Interview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Hazare's security cover enhanced - Sep 03, 2011
- Thousands march in Mumbai for Hazare - Aug 21, 2011
- Ralegan Siddhi sarpanch to contest polls on NCP ticket - Jan 09, 2012
- Government trying to break Team Anna, says Hazare (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: activist, agitation, allegations, anna hazare, anti graft, arvind kejriwal, batches, central delhi, confidante, corruption, dozen ministers, indefinite hunger strike, jantar mantar observatory, monsoon session, morning rally, occasions, parliament, solidarity