Rajya Sabha poll cancellation: Congress nominee moves courtApril 3rd, 2012 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 3 (IANS) Congress candidate for a Rajya Sabha seat Pradeep Balmuchu Tuesday said that he has challenged in the Jharkhand High Court the Election Commission’s decision to cancel the polls for two upper house seats over alleged horse trading.
“The EC cancelled the polling on three points, including the seizure of Rs.2.15 crore. The seizure of money and three legislators showing their ballot to other party agent is not a valid ground to cancel the polls,” Balmuchu, the state party president, told reporters.
Amid reports of horse trading, the EC Friday stopped the counting of votes for two Rajya Sabha seats from Jharkhand after money was seized from a car belonging to an independent candidate’s relative and recommended to President Pratibha Patil that the poll notification be cancelled.
The income tax department in Jharkhand had earlier seized Rs.2.15 crore from an Innova car coming to Ranchi from Jamshedpur on the outskirts of the city, suspected to be pay offs for getting a favourable vote from some legislators.
Shakeel Ahmad, in charge of Jharkhand Congress affairs, welcomed the cancellation of the poll and sought a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged horse trading charges.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Yashwant Sinha also a sought CBI probe.
The poll panel, in a statement, said it was “satisfied” that that biennial election process for two Rajya Sabha seats had been “seriously vitiated” and consequently, it recommended to the president to rescind the notification for the elections.
Five candidates, including two independents, were in the fray. The five candidates are Sanjiv Kumar of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha, Balmuchu, Praveen Kumar Singh of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P), and two independents - R.K. Agarwal and Pawan Kumar Dhut.
- Congress, JMM seek review of cancellation of RS poll - Mar 31, 2012
- Banks, legislators' accounts under scanner in Jharkhand RS polls - Apr 09, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha polls: High court dismisses petition - Apr 05, 2012
- Rs.2.15 crore seized ahead of Rajya Sabha poll - Mar 30, 2012
- Poll panel stops Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll, urges cancellation (Intro Roundup) - Mar 31, 2012
- Counting for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll stopped as Rs.2.15 crore seized (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- BJP to back JMM candidates if it joins NDA - Apr 16, 2012
- Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll on May 3 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- 'Congress MP offered me Rs.25 lakh bribe' - Apr 23, 2012
- Rajya Sabha poll: JMM irked over BJP decision to field Ahluwalia - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Jharkhand order on RS polls a victory on corruption' - Apr 05, 2012
- Rajya Sabha poll: CBI charges three with horse trading - Apr 20, 2012
- Ahuwalia files nomination for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 21, 2012
- With RS horse trading reports, Jharkhand in news for wrong reasons - Mar 31, 2012
- JMM fields Saneev Kumar for Rajya Sabha - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, congress candidate, election commission, horse trading, independent candidate, independents, jamshedpur, jharkhand high court, party president, pawan kumar, president pratibha patil, rajya sabha, ranchi, rs 2, sanjiv kumar, seizure, upper house, vikas, yashwant