Rajya Sabha adjourned over quotas in promotionsAugust 9th, 2012 - 1:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) The Rajya Sabha was adjourned Thursday after Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) members raised the issue of reservation for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes groups in promotions in government jobs.
The upper house lost the important question hour for the second day of the monsoon session.
The Supreme Court had in April overruled the Uttar Pradesh government’s decision to provide reservations in government job promotions. The BSP, which was then in government, had raised the issue in the budget session demanding a constitutional amendment to provide for such quotas.
BSP leader Mayawati raised the issue as soon as the house met for the day, blaming the government for not taking action as promised.
Even as Minister of State in Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy promised a meeting would be called in the current session, BSP members refused to be pacified and trooped near chairman Hamid Ansari’s podium.
Ansari then adjourned the house till noon.
- All-party meeting on promotion quota Aug 21 - Aug 09, 2012
- SC order against quotas in promotions rocks parliament (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- All-party meeting on job promotion quota Aug 21 (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- PM to head all-party meet on job promotion quota - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP to meet on reservation in promotions - Sep 04, 2012
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- SC order against promotion quotas rocks Lok Sabha - Aug 09, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- Amend statute for job promotions to SCs, STs: Mayawati - Apr 30, 2012
- 'Quashing reservation in promotions goes against SCs, STs' - May 03, 2012
- Parliament disrupted for 10th day, promotions quota bill likely Wednesday (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, budget session, castes, constitutional amendment, government job, government jobs, hamid ansari, minister of state, monsoon session, New Delhi, podium, prime minister, promotions, quotas, rajya sabha, samaj, tribes, upper house, uttar pradesh government