Rajya Sabha adjourned for the third time (Lead)December 23rd, 2008 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 23 (IANS) The Rajya Sabha was adjourned five minutes after it convened post-lunch as opposition MPs continued to disrupt proceedings over the remarks by Minority Affairs Minister A.R. Antulay questioning the death of Maharashtra police officer Hemant Karkare in the Nov 26 Mumbai terror attacks and the insurance bill.As the house met at 2 p.m., Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs continued to raise slogans against Antulay while the members of the Left parties continued to oppose the insurance bill.
However, amidst the din, two bills — one amending the Information Technology Act, 2000 and the other on reservations for Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes in civil services — were passed.
As the slogan-shouting continued despite the requests of Deputy Chairman K. Rahman Khan, he adjourned the house till 3 p.m.
The upper house of parliament was first adjourned within three minutes of convening for the last day of the current session, with opposition MPs demanding a statement from Home Minister P. Chidambaram or the prime minister over Antulay’s remarks.
At the same time, MPs from communist parties shouted slogans against the introduction of a bill that seeks to reform the insurance sector.
Presiding over the house, Vice President Hamid Ansari said: “Honourable members, this house is violating its own dignity. I have no option but to adjourn it till noon.”
When the Rajya Sabha reconvened after the adjournment, NDA MPs continued to shout slogans demanding the resignation of Antulay, forcing another adjournment till 2 p.m.
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- BJP forces three Lok Sabha adjournments - Sep 05, 2011
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Parliament adjourned again but some business done (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Parliament stalled over Gujarat Lokayukta issue - Sep 02, 2011
- BJP disrupts parliament again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for day over Antulay, insurance bill (Fourth Lead) - Dec 22, 2008
- Lok Sabha adjourned for day, Rajya Sabha till 2 p.m. (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Lok Sabha disrupted over Telangana issue - Mar 27, 2012
- Rajya Sabha opens, and adjourns - Dec 23, 2008
- BJP, SP protests force parliament adjournment till Friday (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned sine die - Dec 23, 2008
- Hazare protest stalls parliament, no business done (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Hazare protest stalls parliament - Aug 23, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned twice over Antulay's Karkare remarks (Lead) - Dec 22, 2008
Tags: bharatiya janata party, hamid ansari, honourable members, information technology act, insurance bill, insurance sector, left parties, mumbai terror attack, p chidambaram, rajya sabha, upper house of parliament