Rajya Sabha adjourned for the dayAugust 1st, 2011 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) The Rajya Sabha was adjourned for the day on the first day of the monsoon session Monday as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) took up the issue of corruption and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) demanded a new land acquisition bill.
Soon after the swearing-in of the new members and obituary references, the BSP members raised a ruckus over a new land acquisition bill. The government had Friday released a draft bill seeking to put in place a legal framework not only to protect the interests of owners and prospective buyers, but also those whose livelihood depend on the land.
As the BSP made its pitch, with members trooping towards the podium, members of the main opposition BJP rose to protest the issue of corruption. BJP MP from Orissa, Rudra Narayan Pany, shouted for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s resignation.
Chairman Hamid Ansari adjourned the house for 15 minutes. But the situation was much the same when the members met again at 12 noon and Ansari adjourned the house till Tuesday after papers were laid on the table.
A BJP leader said that demand for the resignation of the prime minister and Home Minister P. Chidambaram was on the top of their agenda.
“Till Sep 8, we will keep demanding the resignation of prime minister and home minister,” the BJP leader said.
The monsoon session, which started Monday, is scheduled to end Sep 8.
- Storm on first day of monsoon session (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2011
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Last day of session: parliament disrupted again - Sep 07, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over quotas in promotions - Aug 09, 2012
- Protests over graft, inflation stall parliament second day (Third Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Amid sloganeering, Chidambaram participates in Question Hour - Dec 14, 2011
- Day 2 monsoon session: protests stall parliament (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Parliament adjourned till Monday over anti-Chidambaram protests (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- BJP protests force Lok Sabha to adjourn for day (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Day 10: parliament disrupted again - Sep 04, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Parliament adjourned again, BJP vows protests (Lead) - Dec 10, 2010
- Parliament disrupted, quota bill introduced (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Delhi budget session starts on a stormy note - May 28, 2012
Tags: bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, draft bill, hamid ansari, home minister, land acquisition, legal framework, manmohan, manmohan singh, monsoon session, p chidambaram, pany, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prospective buyers, rajya sabha, ruckus, rudra