Rajoelina formally takes over as Madagascar presidentMarch 21st, 2009 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
Antananarivo (Madagascar), March 21 (Xinhua) Andry Rajoelina was formally inaugurated as president of Madagascar in an official ceremony held here Saturday.
The ceremony was attended by tens of thousands of his supporters.
Earlier on Thursday, the country’s constitutional court had given the go-ahead to Rajoelina’s appointment as president.
Rajoelina, a former mayor of Antananarivo, was backed by the armed forces, after Marc Ravalomanana stepped down from office. Ravalomanana’s resignation comes following months of street protests against his government’s policies.
Ravalomanana Tuesday handed over power to the military, who then gave it to Rajoelina.
The African Union (AU) Friday suspended Madagascar from its membership, saying Rajoelina’s army-backed arrival to power constituted a military coup.
The AU has given six months to Rajoelina to hold a general election in the island nation in the Indian Ocean.
- Madagascar's Rajoelina confirmed as interim president (Lead) - Mar 18, 2009
- Madagascar's Rajoelina in a corner after AU suspension for 'coup' (Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- Army officers claim coup d'etat during constitutional referendum in Madagascar - Nov 18, 2010
- Madagascar president surrenders powers to military (Lead) - Mar 17, 2009
- Southern African group rejects Madagascar's new leader - Mar 20, 2009
- Madagascar military hands power to Rajoelina - Mar 18, 2009
- Tense calm in Madagascar after military attack on presidency - Mar 17, 2009
- Restore civilian rule in Mali by July 31: AU - Jul 15, 2012
- French envoy to Madagascar survives plane crash - May 11, 2011
- Curfew clamped in Madagascar capital as riots continue - Jan 28, 2009
- 65 killed in cyclone Irina in Madagascar - Mar 06, 2012
- Madagascar to send seven athletes to London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- African Union suspends Mali from its membership - Mar 23, 2012
- Maldives proposes presidential polls in 2013 - Apr 18, 2012
- US to review aid to Mali after coup - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: andry, antananarivo madagascar, appointment, armed forces, army, constitutional court, general election, indian ocean, island nation, marc ravalomanana, march 21, military coup, resignation, six months, street protests, tens of thousands, xinhua