Rajnikanth blasts Karnataka over water projectApril 4th, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, April 4 (IANS) Tamil film star Rajnikanth launched a blistering attack Friday against his native state Karnataka for opposing the Hogenekkal drinking water project in Tamil Nadu. “I unequivocally condemn Karnataka for this reprehensible act of denying us what is rightfully ours,” Rajnikanth said.
Anger was writ large on the visage of the ageing superstar when he warned politicians in Karnataka against “using a false premise for (short term gains) during elections”.
“A national political party I respect is forcing me to wonder by its despicable acts whether there is (rule of law) in this country (guaranteed by) the Supreme Court,” Rajnikanth argued.
“Don’t people who indulge in mindless violence for a worthless cause deserve to be belaboured?” he asked, speaking near the Chepaul cricket stadium where Tamil film stars were on hunger strike in support of the water project in Dharmapuri district, 350 km southwest of Chennai.
“I appeal to people like (former Karnataka Chief Ministers B.S.) Yediyurappa, (H.D.) Kumaraswamy and (former prime minister H.D.) Deve Gowda to desist from whipping up (chauvinistic) sentiments purely aimed at the (ensuing) elections and nip this fissiparous tendency in the bud before the situation gets out of hand,” Rajnikanth added.
Rajnikanth, whose mother tongue is Marathi, hails from Bengalooru where he has considerable investments. He has also played the male lead in several Kannada films.
A galaxy of stars including Kamal Hassan, Vijaykanth and Sarath Kumar made an impassioned appeal to Karnataka to give up its “unjust quest”.
At the end of the fast, a joint resolution on behalf of the Tamil film fraternity was adopted. It assured Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi of the tinsel town’s total support in his fight to achieve justice for the state.
- Tamil stars fast over Karnataka's stand on Hogenekkal project - Apr 04, 2008
- I never wanted violence, says Rajnikant on Hogenekkal - Apr 07, 2008
- Back on screen soon: Rajnikanth - Jan 27, 2012
- Rajnikanth falls ill, briefly hospitalised (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Deve Gowda wants to watch Prithvi - May 01, 2010
- Rajnikanth is taken ill, hospitalised - Apr 29, 2011
- Grandest opening for Enthiran - Sep 24, 2010
- Send back Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Aug 25, 2012
- Rajnikanth offers venue for IAC stir in Chennai - Dec 26, 2011
- Modi, Naidu call on Rajnikanth - May 16, 2011
- Thousands of devotees in Puttaparthi, massive security for - Apr 26, 2011
- Hara - Rajnikanth's Next Film - Oct 28, 2010
- Rajni fans go bonkers - Oct 01, 2010
- Tamil stars fast against Karnataka's stand on Hogenekkal project - Apr 04, 2008
- Tamil Nadu farmers take to betel nut cultivation - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: blistering attack, chief ministers, cricket stadium, despicable acts, dharmapuri, drinking water project, false premise, former prime minister, galaxy of stars, hunger strike, impassioned appeal, kamal hassan, kumaraswamy, mindless violence, mother tongue, reprehensible act, sarath kumar, tinsel town, vijaykanth, worthless cause