Rajiv Gandhi’s statue vandalised in Chennai(Lead)October 24th, 2008 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 24 (IANS) Unidentified people damaged a statue of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi in the northern suburbs of this city Friday. In a separate incident, the office of the Janata Party was attacked in Madurai, official sources said.S. Manoharan, a spokesman of the Janata Party spokesperson attributed the attack on their office to “anti-Indian elements opposed by our leader Dr Subramanian Swamy”.
“Over a hundred people claiming to be lawyers broke every chair, table and tube-light in our office. They also assaulted me brutally. Since the police picket posted here for protection was removed, we were defenceless. For whatever it is worth, we have filed a complaint with the police,” Manoharan told IANS.
“The protestors shouted slogans vowing to chase all Tamil traitors like Dr Swamy away from the borders of Tamil Nadu,” R. Nagaiyan, a witness said.
Gandhi, who was assassinated by a female suicide bomber in 1991, and Swamy are considered to be symbols against the banned Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam - who are currently facing losses against the Sri Lankan army.
Meanwhile, over 500 workers of the MDMK were arrested for protesting against Thursday’s arrest of their leaders Vaiko and M. Kannappan on charges of sedition and asking for an armed struggle to support the Sri Lankan Tamils’ quest for a separate homeland, police said.
The duo have been remanded to judicial custody and housed in the high security Puzhal prison here.
Congress workers blocked traffic in the northern suburbs here in protest against the damage to the statue of Rajiv Gandhi.
- Statue of Rajiv Gandhi vandalised in Chennai (Second Lead) - Oct 24, 2008
- Statue of Rajiv Gandhi vandalised in Chennai (Third Lead) - Oct 24, 2008
- Miscreants damage Rajiv Gandhi's statue in Chennai - Oct 24, 2008
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- Mahatma Gandhi statue vandalised in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- A Sri Lankan Tamil who could have made a difference (Comment) - Nov 19, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Vaiko taken into preventive custody ahead of Rajapaksa visit - Jun 08, 2010
- Mahatma Gandhi's statue vandalised in Sri Lanka - Apr 07, 2012
- Vaiko held on sedition charge, Sri Lankan mission stoned (Roundup) - Oct 23, 2008
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Tamil film director arrested for inflammatory speeches - Dec 19, 2008