Rajiv Gandhi killer’s mother demands fresh trialAugust 13th, 2011 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 12 (IANS) A day after the president rejected the mercy petitions of three men on death row for former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi’s assassination, the mother of one of those sentenced Friday demanded a retrial, alleging her son had been framed.
Speaking to reporters here, Arputham Ammal asserted that her son Perarivalan was framed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
She also said she would challenge the rejection of mercy petition by President Pratibha Patil in the court.
Arputham Ammal contended that when the death sentence of Nalini - the prime accused in the case - could be commuted, why couldn’t a similar yardstick could be applied to her son, who has already spent 20 years in jail.
She said she would seek Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J.Jayalalithaa’s help to save her son from the gallows.
President Patil Thursday rejected the clemency petition filed by Perarivalan, Murugan and Santhan, linked to the LTTE.
A woman suicide bomber blew up Gandhi, who was prime minister of India from 1984 to 1989, at an election rally in Sriperumbudur near Chennai May 21, 1991.
Meanwhile PMK founder S.Ramadoss in a statement issued here demanded the central government to reconsider the mercy petitions of the three convicts and release them.
- Woman torches herself to save Rajiv killers - Aug 28, 2011
- Rajiv Gandhi killers move court for stay of hanging - Aug 29, 2011
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination: three to hang Sep 9 (Lead) - Aug 26, 2011
- President rejects mercy petition of Gandhi killers - Aug 11, 2011
- President rejects mercy petition of Rajiv killers (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Court pleas, threats, protests to save Rajiv's killers (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Rajiv Gandhi killing convict couple meet in Vellore jail - Sep 10, 2011
- Rajiv killer Nalini's 'A' class prison facilities restored - Mar 15, 2012
- Spare my son, don't hang him, pleads father - Aug 29, 2011
- Can't commute death sentences of Rajiv killers: Jayalalithaa - Aug 29, 2011
- Rajiv killers move high court; Karunanidhi backs plea (Night Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Tamil Nadu Congress chief wants Rajiv killers hanged - Aug 27, 2011
- Rajiv killers' pleas adjourned till Jan 31 - Nov 29, 2011
- 1,000 Youth Congress activists to fast against Tamil Nadu assembly resolution - Sep 05, 2011
- Rajiv killers' pleas adjourned till Nov 29 - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: central bureau of investigation, clemency petition, election rally, former prime minister, gallows, j jayalalithaa, ltte, men on death row, mercy petition, mercy petitions, murugan, pmk, president pratibha patil, prime minister of india, rajiv gandhi, ramadoss, retrial, sriperumbudur, woman suicide bomber, yardstick