Raja’s arrest leaves many questions unanswered: JayalalithaaFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai Feb 2 (IANS) AIADMK general secretary J. Jayalalithaa Wednesday termed as a half-baked action the arrest of DMK leader and former communications minister A. Raja in the 2G spectrum scam, and added that it “leaves many questions unanswered”.”This arrest raises more questions than it answers and leaves many questions unanswered. The arrest is too little and too late - three years too late,” Jayalalithaa told Times Now news channel.
She wondered what action would be taken against others involved in spectrum allocation scam like corporate lobbyist Niira Radia and the family members of DMK president and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.Karunanidhi.
Raja and two of his aides were arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) here Wednesday for their role in the controversial allocation of airwaves for second generation (2G) telecom services.
Jayalalithaa said Raja’s arrest was to hoodwink the public and also tell the Supreme Court that some action is being taken in the case. She reiterated her demand for a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
“AIADMK will go all out demanding JPC,” she said.
Raja was forced to resign Nov 7 last year after the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) indicted him in the spectrum allocation scam and for causing losses of between Rs.58,000 crore ($12.8 billion) and Rs.1.76 lakh crore ($40 billion) to the exchequer.
But Jayalalithaa pointed out that Communications Minister Kapil Sibal had recently said that there was zero loss for the government.
“If he (Raja) is honest and has done no wrong, why has he been arrested?” Jayalalithaa asked.
- Raja's arrest leaves many questions unanswered: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Raja's arrest to fool people: Jayalalithaa - Feb 03, 2011
- 2G scam: Raja should be arrested, says Jayalalithaa - Dec 20, 2010
- Raja promises to 'cooperate' with CBI - Dec 22, 2010
- DMK supports Raja, says arrest doesn't make him guilty (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Public Accounts Committee questions more people in 2G probe - Apr 05, 2011
- CBI team at Radia's residence for questioning - Dec 21, 2010
- 'Candid' Tata, 'evasive' Radia appear before PAC in 2G probe (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
- 2G scam: Niira Radia appears before PAC - Apr 04, 2011
- 2G scam: Ratan Tata appears before PAC - Apr 04, 2011
- Raja seeks time after CBI summons him, Radia in 2G probe - Dec 20, 2010
- 2G scam: Ratan Tata, Radia to appear before PAC - Apr 04, 2011
- Govt. has made itself a 'laughing stock', says Jayalalithaa on Raja's arrest - Feb 03, 2011
- Our demand for JPC on 2G scam still stands: BJP - Feb 02, 2011
- 2G scam: Radia evasive, Tata candid, says Joshi - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, cag, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, comptroller and auditor general, corporate lobbyist, feb 2, general secretary, half baked, j jayalalithaa, kapil sibal, m karunanidhi, parliamentary committee, raja, rs 1, second generation, spectrum allocation, tamil nadu, telecom services