Rajapaksa’s party wins key local electionApril 26th, 2009 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, April 26 (DPA) President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s ruling party won a key local election in the capital city and its outskirts that was regarded as an endorsement of the Sri Lankan military successes against Tamil rebels in the northern region, vote tallies showed Sunday.
Rajapaksa’s United People’s Freedom Alliance took 68 seats in the 104-member provincial administration encompassing the capital district of Colombo and the adjoining districts of Kalutara and Gampaha.
Rajapaksa’s party campaigned on the success of its military offensive to defeat the rebels of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
Troops have reportedly confined the rebels to a narrow strip of 8 km on the north-eastern coast, as the army says it is in the final stage of destroying the rebel forces in the 25-year conflict.
Rajapaksa is expected to call new presidential elections later this year - two years ahead of schedule - as his party now controls six of the country’s nine provincial councils.
- Sri Lanka's ruling coalition sweeps provincial poll (Lead) - Apr 26, 2009
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins parliamentary elections (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- President Rajapaksa's brother elected new speaker of parliament - Apr 22, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins local council polls - Sep 09, 2012
- Rajapaksa wants to discuss targeting of Sri Lankans with India - Sep 07, 2012
- Sri Lanka opposition protests court martial of former army chief - Aug 17, 2010
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Ruling party wins parliamentary elections in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2010
- Rajapaksa orders release of jailed ex-army chief - May 20, 2012
- Ex-Tamil rebel supporters back ex-army leader in presidential race - Jan 06, 2010
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Sri Lankan cabinet meets first time in north - Jul 14, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief released from jail - May 21, 2012
- Sri Lanka to invest $4 bn in conflict-hit north - Jan 12, 2010
- International Tamil rebel network still active: Sri Lanka - Jun 21, 2010
Tags: army, conflict, dpa, endorsement, freedom alliance, kalutara, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, mahinda rajapaksa, military successes, narrow strip, outskirts, president mahinda rajapaksa, presidential elections, provincial administration, provincial councils, rebel forces, ruling party, sri lankan, tamil rebels, vote tallies