Rajapaksa should tried for war crimes: JayalalithaaMay 13th, 2011 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 13 (IANS) The Indian government should take the necessary steps to bring Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa before an international court for war crimes, AIADMK chief and Tamil Nadu chief minister in waiting J. Jayalaltihaa said Friday.
In an interview to Jaya TV, she said the Indian government, teaming with other countries, should impose economic sanctions on the island nation to force Colombo to provide an honourable living condition for Tamils there.
Queried about her plans for the welfare of the Sri Lankan Tamils, Jayalalithaa, whose AIADMK has stormed to power in Tamil Nadu Friday decimating the ruling DMK, said the Tamils have suffered a lot in Sri Lanka.
She said as a chief minister, she can act only up to a certain extent and it is only the Indian government that has to take action in this regard.
Jayalalithaa added that she would stress upon the Indian government to take action to bring the Sri Lankan president before an international court and also impose economic sanctions.
- AIADMK out of MPs team to Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- India must ensure Rajapaksa faces war crimes trial - Apr 22, 2011
- AIADMK, DMK want Sri Lankan airmen to go (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Jayalalithaa hailed for raising plight of Sri Lankan Tamils - Jun 09, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- India must move UN to bring Rajapaksa to trial: Jayalalithaa - Apr 27, 2011
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- Jayalalithaa meets PM, talks Sri Lanka, Tamil Nadu economy (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, chennai, chief minister, economic sanctions, extent, honourable, indian government, island nation, jaya tv, jayalalithaa, mahinda rajapaksa, necessary steps, president mahinda rajapaksa, regard, sri lanka, sri lankan president, sri lankan tamils, war crimes, welfare