Rajapaksa hails MukherjeeJuly 25th, 2012 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 25 (IANS) Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa Wednesday said the election of Pranab Mukherjee as India’s new president had brought “deep joy” to him.
“The government and people of Sri Lanka join me in extending to you our sincere congratulations on your election as president,” Rajapaksa said in a message to Mukherjee.
“Having come to know you closely for long years, your election to the highest office in India is a matter of deep joy for me personally.”
He said the United Progressive Alliance’s (UPA) decision to make him the president show the “the trust placed in you by the people of India and the high regard in which you are held.
“The people of Sri Lanka salute your achievements and acknowledge your long standing and sustained efforts in strengthening relations between India and Sri Lanka.
“I am confident that your resolve to work towards enhancing the close ties of friendship and cooperation between our two countries will be strengthened even further in your new capacity.”
- Sri Lanka, China seek to strengthen military ties - Sep 01, 2012
- Colour and ceremony as President Pranab takes office (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- India should help Sri Lanka in constructive manner: Kalam - Jan 27, 2012
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Rajapaksa wants to discuss targeting of Sri Lankans with India - Sep 07, 2012
- Sri Lanka, India discuss travel advisory - Sep 13, 2012
- PM greets Rajapaksa on re-election as Sri Lankan president - Jan 27, 2010
- Sri Lankan president orders security for Nasheed's wife - Feb 11, 2012
- Patil, Rajapaksa to watch World Cup final in Mumbai (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- Ramesh to review India-aided projects in Sri Lanka - Jul 12, 2012
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Sri Lankan president's kin attacked in Tamil Nadu - Jan 10, 2012
- NSA to go to Colombo, voice India's concerns - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: close ties, cooperation, friendship, India, mahinda rajapaksa, new president, pranab mukherjee, president mahinda rajapaksa, progressive alliance, regard, resolve, sri lanka, sri lankan president, UPA