Rajagopal emerges as richest Andhra politician, worth Rs.2.99 bnApril 6th, 2009 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 6 (IANS) Who is the richest politician in Andhra Pradesh? It’s neither actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi nor Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy’s son Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy. With assets worth Rs.2.99 billion (Rs.299 crore), Congress MP Lagadapati Rajagopal has left everyone behind.
Chiranjeevi, who was so far considered the richest man in the fray for this month’s elections with assets of Rs.880 million (Rs.88 crore), has been defeated in the race for riches by industrialist Rajagopal, who is seeking another term from the Vijayawada Lok Sabha constituency.
Jaganmohan Reddy, who is making his debut in electoral politics by contesting the Kadapa Lok Sabha seat, is at third place with Rs.770 million (Rs.77 crore) although his father is one of poorest politicians with assets worth Rs.3.3 million.
While filing his nomination from Pulivendula assembly constituency in his native Kadapa district, YSR declared he does not have any house or apartment or vehicle in his name or that of his wife Vijyalakshmi.
Rajagopal, the former chairman of Lanco Group of Companies, and his wife L. Padma together own movable and immovable assets worth Rs.2.99 billion.
According to the affidavit he filed along with his nomination papers, he has movable assets of Rs.900 million (Rs.90 crore) and immovable assets of Rs.140 million (Rs.14 crore). He also has foreign assets of $36.14 million (Rs.1.8 billion).
Rajagopal’s wife has movable and immovable assets of Rs.141 million (Rs.14.1 crore).
The Congress leader also has bonds and shares worth Rs.828.2 million (Rs.82.82 crore) in various companies. His assets include houses and apartments in Hyderabad worth Rs.133.5 million (Rs 13.35 crore), seven vehicles worth Rs.35.6 million (Rs 3.56 crore), 7,220 gm gold worth Rs.17 million (Rs.1.70 crore), and agricultural land worth Rs.7.02 million (Rs.70.2 lakh). He owes of Rs.59.1 million (Rs.5.91 crore) to different banks.
YSR’s main rival and Telugu Desam party president N. Chandrababu Naidu and his wife N. Bhuvaneswari together own assets of Rs.687 million (Rs.68.70 crore). The assets in the name of Naidu are worth Rs.130 million (Rs.13 crore).
Naidu, who is seeking re-election from Kuppam assembly constituency in Chittoor district, declared that he owns one vehicle - an old ambassador car worth Rs.222,000.
- TDP's Ramesh to join Andhra rich MPs list - Mar 20, 2012
- Rich politician Jagan has Rs.365 crore assets - Apr 15, 2011
- Congress questions massive increase in Jagan's assets - Apr 16, 2011
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012
- Andhra chief minister's son worth over Rs.770 mn - Apr 01, 2009
- Congress, TDP say Jagan trying to buy MLAs - Jun 01, 2012
- Jagan to be produced in court Monday - May 28, 2012
- Vijayakant files nomination, owns asset worth Rs.19.88 crore - Mar 24, 2011
- Chiranjeevi, wife own assets worth Rs.880 mn - Apr 04, 2009
- Richest MP Jagan is now prisoner 6093 - May 28, 2012
- YSR's son, widow win by-elections by record margins (Third Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Karunanidhi, wives declare Rs.43 crore assets; Jayalalithaa's are Rs.64 crore - Mar 24, 2011
- Court reserves orders in Jagan's assets case - Aug 04, 2011
- ED to move court to question Jagan - May 30, 2012
- Tamil Nadu Congress chief, wife file nominations for same seat - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: actor turned politician, affidavit, agricultural land, chief minister, chiranjeevi, congress leader, electoral politics, gold worth, industrialist, kadapa, Lok Sabha, movable assets, nomination papers, richest man, rs 1, rs 90, sabha constituency, vijayawada, worth rs, ysr