Raja was not lying on Chidambaram role in 2G: DMKSeptember 22nd, 2011 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) The DMK, a constituent of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA), Thursday claimed that party leader and former communications minister A. Raja was not lying when he said the second-generation (2G) spectrum allocation was done with the knowledge and approval of then finance minister P. Chidambaram.
“Raja has not been denying or lying when he says senior officers and senior ministers were aware of the decision on spectrum,” DMK leader and Tamil film actress Khushboo told NDTV.
The DMK assertion follows a controversy over a note to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) from the finance ministry which said that Chidambaram could have prevented second- generation (2G) spectrum from being given away to telecom companies at seven-year-old prices by insisting on its auction — alluding that presumptive losses worth thousands of crores could have thus been avoided.
Khushboo said Chidambaram was very much aware of the (spectrum allocation) development and it was under his guardianship that Raja had taken the decision of not changing the 2001 rates for spectrum allocation in end 2008.
“So, that comes as a big relief for us. For us, as the DMK, it definitely helps,” Khushboo said, referring to the finance ministry note, which came to light through a Right to Information application.
Asked about the difference between the former finance minister and present Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on telecom spectrum allocation, Khushboo said it was a matter within the UPA and the ministers would have to resolve the matter among themselves.
Raja is in prison after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested him in February in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation case.
His party colleague and Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi too is in prison for alleged corruption in the same case.
Raja, in his defence, has been maintaining that his decision to allocate the 2G spectrum was taken with the approval and knowledge of his cabinet colleagues in the UPA government.
- DMK guarded as Jayalalithaa calls for Chidambaram's ouster - Sep 22, 2011
- Raja pulls PM, Chidambaram into 2G scam (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- Don't treat 3G in continuation of 2G, TRAI said in 2006: Witness - Mar 15, 2012
- Raja committed offence in active connivance with Chidambaram: Swamy (Roundup) - Dec 17, 2011
- Chidambaram decided 2G spectrum prices with Raja: Swamy - Nov 22, 2011
- 2G transactions known to PM, Chidambaram: Raja (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Political war of words hots up over Chidambaram - Sep 25, 2011
- Raja drags PM, Chidambaram into 2G scam (Intro Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- 2G case: Swamy deposes against Chidambaram (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- 2G: Raja wants PM in witness box - Aug 24, 2011
- DMK silent on Raja's arguments - Jul 25, 2011
- 2G: Swamy submits documents against Chidambaram - Jan 07, 2012
- 2G: Jayalalithaa welcomes apex court ruling - Feb 02, 2012
- 2G should have been auctioned, says Jagdish Bhagwati - Dec 22, 2011
- 'Spectrum could have been auctioned if Chidambaram wanted' (Roundup) - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: 2g, alleged corruption, cbi, central bureau of investigation, dmk, film actress, finance minister, finance ministry, guardianship, information application, ndtv, party leader, pmo, pranab mukherjee, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, second generation, spectrum allocation, telecom companies, worth thousands