Raja, 11 others formally charged in 2G spectrum case (Lead)April 2nd, 2011 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Saturday filed its first chargesheet of 127 pages with 80,000-page annexure against nine people and three firms in the case involving the allocation of second generation (2G) telecom spectrum.
The chargesheet, brought in seven steel boxes, was filed in the special court of CBI Judge O.P. Saini.
Among those named are former communications minister A. Raja, his personal aide R.K. Chandolia, former telecom secretary Siddhartha Behura, Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa, director Vinod Goenka and Unitech Wireless director Sanjay Chandra.
Raja has been accused on several counts.
Three officials from the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group — Gautam Doshi, Hari Nair and Surendra Pipara — as also three companies, Unitech, Reliance and Swan telecom, were also named as accused in the allocation of spectrum.
Among the individuals, four are already in judicial custody. The court issued summons to the others asking them to appear before it by April 13.
The three officials of the Anil Ambani Group were named in the chargesheet for allegedly concealing the in-eligibility of Swan Telecom for the grant of spectrum, said one of the investigative officers in the case.
Unitech, too, the chargesheet alleged was ineligible as the company did not have the necessary amendment in its memorandum and articles of association to enter the telecom business.
“The public is reminded the above findings are based on the investigation done by CBI and evidence collected by it,” the probe agency said. “Under the Indian law, the accused are presumed to be innocent till their guilt is finally established after a fair trial.”
The accused have been chargesheeted under various provisions of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, including cheating, forgery and criminal conspiracy.
“We have 125 witnesses on whose information the agency has attached 654 documents to the chargesheet in the case,” said a CBI official.
“In the entire episode, the government incurred a loss of Rs.30,984 crore. Swan and Unitech telecom were the two companies totally ineligible for the licence allocation,” the official added.
“We are also investigating Kaliagnar TV, Asif Balwa and Rajiv Aggarwal, who are the directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables, and Cineyug and Green House promoters,” said senior public prosecutor specially called from Guwahati, A.K. Singh.
“They are likely to be named in the supplementary chargesheet that will be submitted by end-April,” Singh said, adding, the name of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Private Ltd has since changed to Kusegaon Realty.
Regarding Raja’s close associate Sadiq Batcha, who was found dead under mysterious ciscumstances at his Chennai home last month, the probe agency said that they were tracing the alleged kick-backs in the scam that could have been routed through him.
- Raja, 11 others formally charged in 2G spectrum case (Roundup) - Apr 02, 2011
- 2G scam: Arguments on framing charges from Thursday (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- 2G scam: Shahid Balwa's bail decision reserved - May 18, 2011
- Names of Raja's wife, Batcha figure in CBI chargesheet (Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
- CBI witnesses' statements made court frame 2G charges - Oct 23, 2011
- 2G scam: CBI told to give additional documents to accused - Jun 07, 2011
- 2G case: Court reserves order on Morani's bail plea - May 26, 2011
- 2G scam: Former bureaucrat's bail plea rejected - Jun 03, 2011
- 2G scam: Morani exempted from appearance third time - May 12, 2011
- Prosecution concludes arguments in 2G spectrum case - Jul 23, 2011
- 2G case: Court rejects bail for Balwas, Rajiv Aggarwal (Second Lead) - May 24, 2011
- 2G case: No bail for Balwas, Rajiv Aggarwal (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Raja, key accused in 2G spectrum case presented in court - Apr 13, 2011
- Goenka seeks court permission to sign company documents - Jun 04, 2011
- 2G scam: CBI reserves order on Behura's bail plea (Lead) - May 27, 2011
Tags: anil ambani group, annexure, central bureau of investigation, criminal conspiracy, documen, goenka, hari nair, indian penal code, investigative officers, judicial custody, memorandum and articles, memorandum and articles of association, personal aide, prevention of corruption act, reliance anil dhirubhai ambani group, saini, steel boxes, surendra, telecom business, unitech