Raj Thackeray’s activists clash with university staff in MumbaiJanuary 27th, 2009 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 27 (IANS) Activists of Raj Thackeray’s Maharashta Navnirman Sena (MNS) exchanged blows with the security staff of the Mumbai University when the latter refused them entry into the campus to meet the authorities.”Our workers had taken an appointment and gone in a delegation to meet the varsity officials, including the registrar, to discuss certain academic issues when the university’s security officials at the Fort Campus in south Mumbai refused them entry,” said MNS spokesman Shirish Parker.
The issue pertained to a recent circular of the university making Marathi language optional in subjects like Social Sciences. “This is not acceptable to us, we wanted to lodge our protest and get the circular revoked,” Parker added.
The Azad Maidan police have detained 10 MNS activists, including the MNS student wing leader, Aditya Shirodkar.
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Police allow Raj Thackeray to hold rally (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012
- Defiant MNS asks Mumbai residents not to pay toll tax - Jul 29, 2012
- Raj Thackeray meets Maharashtra Governor - Jan 30, 2009
- MNS dubs Chavan, Ajit Pawar, Patil '3 Idiots' of Maharashtra - Jan 17, 2011
- Maharashtra assembly supports Marathi-speaking people of Karnataka - Apr 12, 2012
- Raj Thackeray meets Marathi filmmakers - Aug 16, 2010
- Maharashtra Governer meets Raj Thackeray - Jan 30, 2009
- Rahul Gandhi ill-informed: Raj Thackeray retorts to speech - Nov 14, 2011
- MNS protests wrongful sacking of HSBC employees - May 04, 2012
- Uddhav, Raj part soon after joining mill workers' cause (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- Raj Thackeray rubbishes allegations of vote-for-money in MLC polls - Jun 13, 2010
- MNS activists attack toll posts across Maharashtra - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: academic issues, activists, appointment, authorities, clash, delegation, maharashta, maidan, mns, mumbai university, protest, raj thackeray, security officials, security staff, sena, social sciences, south mumbai, spokesman, university staff, wing leader