Raj Thackeray secures bail after arrest (Lead)November 15th, 2008 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 15 (IANS) Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray secured a transit bail from a Mumbai court shortly after his arrest Saturday afternoon on a a Jamshedpur court’s non-bailable warrant against him.Accordingly, Thackeray will not be required to appear before a Jamshedpur court, which issued the warrant for his allegedly defamatory statements against people from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
Earlier, Thackeray went to the Mazagaon court to surrender, following which he was arrested.
The Jamshedpur police have sought from the court permission for his remand after lawyer Hamid Reza Khan accused Thackeray of hurting religious sentiments of a section of society.
Besides, at least 59 cases have been filed against the MNS chief in various parts of India.
An MNS office-bearer told IANS the party would seek a transfer of all these cases to a single court in Jharkhand or in Mumbai.
Incidentally, unlike in October when MNS activists went on a rampage all over Maharashtra following Thackeray’s arrest, the legal formality against him Saturday passed off peacefully with a token police presence around the court premises.
Since last year, Thackeray, estranged nephew of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray, and his supporters have been campaigning against people from north India, particularly from Bihar and Uttar pradesh, who come to the state in search of jobs.
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Raj Thackeray arrested - Nov 15, 2008
- Raj arrested, freed on bail (Second Lead) - Nov 15, 2008
- Bihar court issues non-bailable warrant against Raj Thackeray - Dec 03, 2009
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Jamshedpur court seeks clarification on Thackeray warrant - Nov 17, 2008
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray publicity-hungry: Nitish Kumar - Sep 02, 2012
- Court seeks report on plea against Raj Thackeray - Sep 13, 2012
- Uddhav again demands permit system for Bihari migrants - Sep 04, 2012
- Raj Thackeray arrested after surrender in Mumbai court - Nov 15, 2008
- Jamshedpur court sends warrant for Raj Thackeray - Oct 20, 2008
- Mayawati flays Raj Thackeray for remarks on migrants - Jul 15, 2011
- Bihar court issues warrant against Bal Thackeray - Sep 05, 2009