Raj Thackeray admits dilemma over picking candidatesJanuary 27th, 2012 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 27 (IANS) Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray Friday said he was in a dilemma over selecting party candidates for the 27 Zilla Parishads and the nine major civic corporations which go to polls Feb 7 and Feb 16 respectively in the state.
“The biggest question before me is: Whom to give tickets to and whom to reject?” Raj said at a meeting of MNS hopefuls for the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) elections, the nominations for which will open next week.
“We shall give priority to office-bearers and senior leaders for the party tickets. Those who do not figure in the list, I shall beg for their forgiveness,” he said with his hands folded, as the gathering roared its approval.
As per present indications, the MNS plans to contest all the seats in the BMC and also test waters in other important municipal corporations like Thane, Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Nashik and Nagpur.
A party office-bearer said MNS offices across the state “were flooded” with applications from hopeful candidates who feel they can live up to Raj’s expectations.
“Of course, only those who have successfully cleared the pre-election qualification tests conducted last month will be finally eligible, but it is still a mammoth task,” the office-bearer said, preferring anonymity.
Aware that hopefuls rejected by the party could rebel, Raj announced: “I will sincerely regret it, but I am not scared about any rebels or defectors. We will do our job.”
In the same vein, he said that the first list of MNS candidates for the BMC polls, which was postponed once earlier this week and also Friday, would be declared only in the next couple of days.
- Rebels, relatives in fray for BMC elections - Jan 31, 2012
- Count all civic polls votes same day: Maharashtra opposition - Jan 03, 2012
- Mixed trends in Maharashtra civic poll count - Feb 17, 2012
- Polls in BMC, 9 other municipal corporations Feb 16 (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Polls in BMC, 9 other municipal corporations Feb 16 - Jan 03, 2012
- Sena-BJP combine triumph in Mumbai, Thane civic polls, MNS gains (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- MNS exam plan makes civic candidates jittery - Nov 29, 2011
- MNS names candidates - with marks! - Jan 29, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI triumphs in Mumbai, Thane civic polls; MNS gains (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2012
- Election expenses for Maharashtra civic polls hiked - Jan 04, 2012
- 45 percent voting in Mumbai civic polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Peaceful start to local polls in Maharashtra - Feb 07, 2012
- Maharashtra readies for civic corporation polls - Feb 15, 2012
- Maharashtra holds local bodies elections Tuesday - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: anonymity, bmc elections, brihanmumbai municipal corporation, couple of days, dilemma, forgiveness, hopeful candidates, hopefuls, mammoth task, mns, municipal corporations, nashik, office bearer, party candidates, polls, priority, pune, raj thackeray, rebels, zilla