Raj targets north Indians againMay 4th, 2008 - 1:45 am ICT by admin
Mumbai, May 3 (IANS) Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray Saturday renewed his campaign against north Indian migrants as well as film star Amitabh Bachchan saying his supporters will not allow them to destroy “the Maharashtrian culture”. “If the government wants to arrest me let them do so, but only Maharashtra Day will be celebrated in Maharashtra,” said Thackeray addressing a mammoth rally at the Shivaji Park in central Mumbai.
The estranged nephew of Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray justified ridiculing Bachchan’s decision to promote Uttar Pradesh. “Since he has lived and flourished in Maharashtra, why can’t he promote this state?” he said.
He also questioned the move to construct a girls school in Uttar Pradesh named after Bachchan’s daughter-in-law and film star Aishwarya Rai.
Thackeray did not spare Bachchan’s wife Jaya for her comments at a press conference in which she had said the only Thackeray whom she knew was Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray. He also mocked Railway Minister Lalu Prasad.
In January the MNS cheif had criticised the north Indians, especially people from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar living on Mumbai and elsewhere in Maharashta, on various issues, including performing Chhath Puja, a festival especially popular in Bihar.
His controversial remarks sparked off violence in different parts of Maharashtra between MNS activists and north Indians. MNS activists had barged into a cinema house exhibiting a Bhojpuri movie and damaged taxis sporting Samajwadi Party flags. One man was killed in the violence.
- Delhi court issues summons against Raj Thackeray - Aug 30, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi ill-informed: Raj Thackeray retorts to speech - Nov 14, 2011
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Bihar Day: Shiv Sena non-confrontationist, MNS belligerent - Apr 13, 2012
- Bal Thackeray attacks Rahul, calls him 'frustrated' - Feb 03, 2010
- Bal Thackeray demands Bharat Ratna for Big B - Oct 29, 2011
- Shiv Sena chief rejects proposal for alliance with MNS - Feb 15, 2011
- Mumbai Congress MP Nirupam stirs hornet's nest - Oct 24, 2011
- Every part of India belongs to every Indian: Rahul Gandhi (Lead) - Feb 02, 2010
- Mumbai youth enjoy Valentine's Day as MNS, Sena lie low - Feb 14, 2011
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Munde failed to clinch good offer from Congress: Raj Thackeray - Jun 23, 2011
- BJP, Shiv Sena meet to sort out differences - Mar 13, 2011
- Raj Thackeray again attacks north Indian migrants - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: activists, aishwarya rai, amitabh bachchan, bal thackeray, bhojpuri movie, central mumbai, cheif, controversial remarks, girls school, indian migrants, lalu prasad, maharashta, maharashtrian culture, mns, nephew, railway minister, shiv sena chief, shivaji park, star amitabh bachchan, wife jaya